BDutch's bantam flock & natural breeding projects #5 🪺 🪺 and #6

Pics
I'm also having problems with snails and slugs getting into the chicken food.
Me too. Well slugs more that snails.
I wonder why the chickens don’t eat them. They look like a good protein source to me. And some of them are huge!
I wonder if I boiled them so the slime came off if they would be more attractive for the chickens. I might try that.

I wonder why the chickens don’t eat them. They look like a good protein source to me. And some of them are huge!
I wonder if I boiled them so the slime came off if they would be more attractive for the chickens. I might try that.
You are so brave! I want to know how that works out! We have many kinds of slugs and snails here which my vet says are roundworm hosts. Cooking them would make them safer to eat.

You are so brave! I want to know how that works out! We have many kinds of slugs and snails here which my vet says are roundworm hosts. Cooking them would make them safer to eat.
Oh even better reason to try it!
I am a bit busy over the next couple of weeks, but after that I will definitely try it.
I have a long history of war against slugs. When I was a kid my mother used to send me out at night to kill as many as I could in defense of her vegetable patch and the strawberries.
I was issued with weapons in the form of kitchen scissors (cut them in half) and the salt cellar (sprinkle them with salt and they foam up and die).
Somewhat gruesome for a sweet little girl in pigtails (I may have been sweet, I certainly had pigtails), but my mother was ruthless when it came to slugs!
Her other armory were beer traps but I wasn’t allowed to handle those.
Beer traps might be a good way of keeping them out of the chicken food. I can attest to the fact that slugs really, really, love beer. Boozy lot they are!

I wish the hens would just eat them up!

Oh even better reason to try it!
I am a bit busy over the next couple of weeks, but after that I will definitely try it.
I have a long history of war against slugs. When I was a kid my mother used to send me out at night to kill as many as I could in defense of her vegetable patch and the strawberries.
I was issued with weapons in the form of kitchen scissors (cut them in half) and the salt cellar (sprinkle them with salt and they foam up and die).
Somewhat gruesome for a sweet little girl in pigtails (I may have been sweet, I certainly had pigtails), but my mother was ruthless when it came to slugs!
Her other armory were beer traps but I wasn’t allowed to handle those.
Beer traps might be a good way of keeping them out of the chicken food. I can attest to the fact that slugs really, really, love beer. Boozy lot they are!
I was thinking about beer traps!

Learned a new word today: slug. We have only snails in our language (slakken) , and say naked snail to a slug.

I don’t have snails and slugs in the dry coop with a sand floor. But the spot of my second feeding station has no roof.

I also know people who catch them with beer. They burry a glass (pot) in the soil where they tumble in and drown. The glass should be about 2 cm above the surface to prevent other animals to fall in.
I forgot it. Thanks for the reminder.

Cooking slugs 🤮

Learned a new word today: slug. We have only snails in our language (slakken) , and say naked snail to a slug.

I don’t have snails and slugs in the dry coop with a sand floor. But the spot of my second feeding station has no roof.

I also know people who catch them with beer. They burry a glass (pot) in the soil where they tumble in and drown. The glass should be about 2 cm above the surface to prevent other animals to fall in.

Cooking slugs 🤮

Now you've got me thinkin'. Our word for snail is σαλιγκάρι. The word for slug is γυμνοσάλιαγκας. The -γυμνό part means naked. But the other part isn't exactly snail. So I guess they just changed it a bit?

Cooking slugs 🤮
Yup. What you describe is a beer trap and they catch a lot of slugs.
I like naked snail, but I prefer having a separate word because somehow I find snails are quite cute and friendly and slugs are just nasty!
If I get around to trying it I will report back on boiling the slugs and if the chickens like slug stew!
:gig

Back
Top Bottom