BDutch's bantam flock & natural breeding projects #5 🪺 🪺 and #6

Pics
Last week the chickens were carefull not to go far from the coop/run. They came back to run by themselves after eating some greens and maybe some animal proteins like small insects.
Maybe they have the knowledge or feeling it’s not safe outside anymore after last weekend when they returned to the run in panic.

Today it was the same. I let them free range, and after 30 minutes I couldn’t see them anywhere in the garden from the diner table/living room. So I went outside to look where they hang out. But all returned to the run even before I wanted to lock them up.

View from the inside, without chickens :
IMG_3480.jpeg

IMG_3481.jpeg

Last week the chickens were carefull not to go far from the coop/run. They came back to run by themselves after eating some greens and maybe some animal proteins like small insects.
Maybe they have the knowledge or feeling it’s not safe outside anymore after last weekend when they returned to the run in panic.

Today it was the same. I let them free range, and after 30 minutes I couldn’t see them anywhere in the garden from the diner table/living room. So I went outside to look where they hang out. But all returned to the run even before I wanted to lock them up.

View from the inside, without chickens :
View attachment 3663591
View attachment 3663592
While I didn't experience any losses, the two times we had hawks attack that wounded a hen, they were afraid and cautious for a very long time, I would say five to six weeks. This was more even true for the older hens who didn't want to come out at all.
It is normal and good that they are being so cautious, I think. The danger is when they stop thinking about it.

IMG_3488.jpeg
1 hour free range time.
The chickens seems more at ease and are visible happy to have a little time in the free world.

Everything is fine until all 6 hens , sound the alarm ⏰ but not panicking. Coming back to the coop, slowly.

The alarm sound is a bit like the egg song, but different. They calmed down wen I hushed them all inside the run and locked them up again. I looked if I could spot a monster somewhere. But nothing my eye could see.

The green division from the municipality is doing some work in our neighbourhood from today. Hopefully they wil clear the blackberry vines between the stream and our garden this week.

General update.
I have my chickens closed in a lot more since the casualties, and seeing the hunting cat few times.

Last week.
The chickens were acting scared a couple of times last week, but I didn’t see any scary animals. Only songbirds, jays, magpies, pigeons and the friendly neighbour cats.

I let them free range every day for a short time. As soon as they are set free they go for the grass since the fallen grapes are no longer fruity and tasty. It seems they love to be out for a short time for fresh greens and vitamins. They always stay very close to the coop/run and return by themselves after 30 - 45 minutes.

The blackberries and other growth behind our garden hasn’t been removed yet.
IMG_3492.jpeg

Maybe they are more frightful because they are renovating the roofs of houses nearby. That makes a lot of noise if they are working. The black roof on the right is finished. The green one has isolation now.
Our government is subsiding projects to insulate houses and installations to use less gas ⛽️.
IMG_3493.jpeg

Yesterday they went back in after 15-20 minutes. Probably because the builders made a lot of noise.

All my chickens stopped laying. Havent seen an egg for 5 days. Winter period started for us humans and all my hens about the same time 🕰️
Not so strange since they are all 3-9 years old heritage breeds.

I ordered a bag of organic grower/chick feed yesterday. € 22,50 for 25 kg. More proteins, less calcium is better for them now.

IMG_3499.jpeg

They aren’t very interested in the watermelon I gave them.

Yesterday they went back in after 15-20 minutes. Probably because the builders made a lot of noise.

All my chickens stopped laying. Havent seen an egg for 5 days. Winter period started for us humans and all my hens about the same time 🕰️
Not so strange since they are all 3-9 years old heritage breeds.

I ordered a bag of organic grower/chick feed yesterday. € 22,50 for 25 kg. More proteins, less calcium is better for them now.

View attachment 3672232
They aren’t very interested in the watermelon I gave them.
I think they prefer produces when in season 😁.
Joke apart, mine are a lot more interested in watermelon and cucumber in summer. And some of the vegetables leaves they won't touch in spring because there is so much to forage are very welcome in winter (radishes, parsnip and broccoli leaves for example).

Organic starter is much harder to find here than organic layer or grains, and it's very expensive. I give them starter made from french cereals and beans to avoid GMO and brazilian soy, but I would prefer organic.

I think they prefer produces when in season 😁.
Joke apart, mine are a lot more interested in watermelon and cucumber in summer.
Watermelon is stays okay if kept cool, a bit like apples.
I think its because the chickens are not so thirsty anymore. In summer they do eat it gladly.
Organic starter is much harder to find here than organic layer or grains, and it's very expensive. I give them starter made from french cereals and beans to avoid GMO and brazilian soy, but I would prefer organic.
Here its only possible to buy gmo free if you buy organic. And there is no organic all flock.

I think the price at the mill where I buy is fine. The agri/pet/gardening shop is much more expensive, especially the organic starter. They ask € 13,50 for 5 kg. :eek: And don’t sell larger bags.

Confused04.gif

Today, a month after the panic, was the first time the chickens went all the way to the terrace. After an hour 2 chickens (Kraai and Katrientje) were still outside.

Janice still looks very sad with her moulting feathers. The new feathers are arriving.
View attachment 3680757
I just can’t imagine how uncomfortable that must be!

Back
Top Bottom