BDutch's bantam flock & natural breeding projects #5 🪺 🪺 and #6

that is really bizarre. I cannot imagine how such a thing can happen!
The sewers couldn’t cope with all the rain from the cloudburst. The hail drifted on top of the water in the sewer. Something with too much water in a very short time and pressure made the hail come up through the sewer system in the home for elderly where they filmed the handicapped toilet.

https://www.rtl.nl/nieuws/editienl/artikel/5451564/hagelstenen-komen-uit-wc-huis-friesland
Translated:
Due to temperature differences, large showers can form, causing hail to form. Normally, rainwater and hail can be washed away through pipes into our sewer system. It is designed to discharge 25 mm of precipitation per hour. In extreme weather situations, sometimes even 45 mm of precipitation passes through. Capital destruction However, in the Frisian Buitenpost, 100 to 110 mm of precipitation fell in one hour, or so much more precipitation than the sewer system could handle, causing the hail to overflow through the toilet and even end up in the living room. Due to climate change, it is expected that we will experience extreme precipitation more often. "Designing all sewers for the most extreme weather conditions is capital destruction," says Eric Oosterom of Rioned to Editie NL. "It costs too much money and is not always necessary." Code yellow in eight provinces, showers from the south across the country Code yellow in eight provinces, showers from the south across the country Oosterom continues: "Such an investment costs billions, and it is largely unused." According to experts, it is comparable to building wider highways based on one extreme situation. "Then you have, for example, highways five times as wide, which are empty much of the time." Moreover, other ways have now been found to better drain rainwater. "Through green areas and wadis," says Oosterom. "Where it can be arranged above ground in such a way that a downpour can flow away locally." Mixed sewerage According to Oosterom, the chance that the situation in the village of Buitenpost will become a national problem is small. "This can only occur with so-called 'mixed sewerage'," he explains. "Many old homes still have such a mixed sewerage system, whereby rainwater and polluted drinking water from our house flow through the same drain. 20 years ago this applied to 80 percent of the houses and now 60 percent of the houses still have mixed sewerage." Peak situations But many new homes now have a separate sewerage system, where the rainwater and our polluted drinking water do not come together, so the rainwater cannot rise into your house. "Such separate systems have the advantage that during peak situations, i.e. huge downpours, the water only ends up on the street and therefore not in the homes. Another additional advantage: the less the rainwater comes into contact with polluted drinking water, the easier it is to purify."

I'm no expert, but I do know that where I live, the rainwater goes to a different set of pipes than the toilets and other household wastewater. But, compared to much of the world, it's a new neighbourhood that got its rainwater and sewerage pipes in the early 20th century. No doubt they send the water to different destinations to prevent the kind of backing up we see in the video.

I'm no expert, but I do know that where I live, the rainwater goes to a different set of pipes than the toilets and other household wastewater. But, compared to much of the world, it's a new neighbourhood that got its rainwater and sewerage pipes in the early 20th century. No doubt they send the water to different destinations to prevent the kind of backing up we see in the video.
In the article (in the spoiler), the writer explains that there is a decrease of mixed sewerage systems.
The rainwater coming from the roof of our house doesn’t go into the sewerage of the household water. There is a separate pipe which goes directly to a small stream behind our house. They build the house in 2004 (21st century).

Kraai is broody.
I'm in doubt. What should I do?
Give her a second chance and buy 6 hatchery eggs or expel her from the nestbox?

IMG_4951.jpeg

Time for an outdoor tea. :gig 3 hens waiting on the bench hoping I bring some cookies. Black volunteers to poor the tea.

Mama Pearl and Tintin are hanging out somewhere else.

Katrientje.
IMG_4956.jpeg

Pearl and Tintin
IMG_4958.jpeg

Ini mini and Janice
IMG_4961.jpeg

Today I made the Chickencozy door upon the tiny coop. easy peasy to install.
IMG_4955.jpeg

This seemed the perfect place for Kraai to hatch a couple of eggs too.

But I didn’t buy eggs.

Two things went wrong.
I moved Kraai to the tiny coop with the new Chickencozy door where I wanted her to breed without interference of the other hens or to end her broodyness . I didnt want her to sit in the favourite nestbox where all hens try to lay their eggs. There she is disturbed too much.

IMG_4962.jpeg

After I moved her I locked her in for 15 minutes. When I opened the Chickencozy door she initially stayed on the nest. I tried to contact the person from whom I bought bantam Sussex hatchery eggs last year.
After an hour Kraai realised she was somewhere else, left the coop and tried to get back to her previous nestbox for the rest of the day. Now she sleeps on the roost with the other hens.

The person who sold me my favourite hatchery eggs last year, told me he had no fertilised Sussex eggs. His 3 roosters probably got too stressed. One coop had a father and son fight. And in another coop he had a rooster who damaged his spur and was bleeding very much. So he has no eggs to sell at the moment.

No broody … No eggs.

Pearl and Tintin
IMG_4966.jpeg

Ini mini and Katrientje
IMG_4967.jpeg
Things can change rapidly with chickens. Kraai didn’t seem to know or she should be broody or not be broody. The tiny coop with the chicken door is definitely a no go. Black became broody too on Saturday on freshly laid real eggs in the normal laying spot.

Yesterday it seemed I had two broodies in their usual brooding spot. Black and Kraai shared a nestbox. Sitting together on one fake egg. 🥚

Today:
The tiny coop with 4 fake eggs is a no go to become broody for my chickens.
But with Black as a solid broody in the coops nestbox, I decided to leave it there for Tintin in the future. To my surprise Janice preferred the small coop to lay her egg there today.

I looked around for another breeder of bantam Sussex or maybe other hatchery eggs on my shortlist and found one who has bantam Amrock eggs for sale. 😅

Today Kraai finished being broody. But Black is very determent to hatch the fake egg.
Now Ini mini took over from Kraai and sits next to Black. I don’t know why. An egg, supporting Black, or caught by the hatchery virus?

I contacted the hatchery egg seller to pick up 6 bantam Amrock eggs tomorrow.

Photo from the seller of his Amrocks.
IMG_4968.png

Pearl and TintinView attachment 3845123
Ini mini and Katrientje
View attachment 3845121Things can change rapidly with chickens. Kraai didn’t seem to know or she should be broody or not be broody. The tiny coop with the chicken door is definitely a no go. Black became broody too on Saturday on freshly laid real eggs in the normal laying spot.

Yesterday it seemed I had two broodies in their usual brooding spot. Black and Kraai shared a nestbox. Sitting together on one fake egg. 🥚

Today:
The tiny coop with 4 fake eggs is a no go to become broody for my chickens.
But with Black as a solid broody in the coops nestbox, I decided to leave it there for Tintin in the future. To my surprise Janice preferred the small coop to lay her egg there today.

I looked around for another breeder of bantam Sussex or maybe other hatchery eggs on my shortlist and found one who has bantam Amrock eggs for sale. 😅

Today Kraai finished being broody. But Black is very determent to hatch the fake egg.
Now Ini mini took over from Kraai and sits next to Black. I don’t know why. An egg, supporting Black, or caught by the hatchery virus?

I contacted the hatchery egg seller to pick up 6 bantam Amrock eggs tomorrow.

Photo from the seller of his Amrocks.
View attachment 3845124
Except for the combs they look like my Dominiques.
IMG_20240512_134058365~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom