Buttercup725

Songster
Jan 6, 2023
Deltona, FL
Hey, everyone!

I have three Pekin ducklings and am currently using towels as bedding. Ya, I know, it’s awful lol. So, what I’d like to know is what is the best bedding options for my little ones? I know the clean up is going to be a lot regardless but I would like something that helps soak up their poop and pee and the mess they make in the water. They are about a week old, fyi.

I did manage to find an older post referring to the same thing and someone mentioned puppy pads and shavings. What are your thoughts/opinions? They’ll be inside with me for a while so convenience is definitely something I’m looking for. They do have outside area they can run around in once they get a bit older. They’re definitely not going to be strictly indoors. Could you imagine? 💩

Pictures for cuteness overload 😍
TIA!

Attachments

• BC76424C-F0E1-4E28-8E21-62C900BBD76C.jpeg
    BC76424C-F0E1-4E28-8E21-62C900BBD76C.jpeg
    512.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 0128D455-AA4A-4685-A3EB-E05E6B5DB050.jpeg
    0128D455-AA4A-4685-A3EB-E05E6B5DB050.jpeg
    392.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 373066A1-FA10-445A-BCA8-E984B11064B0.jpeg
    373066A1-FA10-445A-BCA8-E984B11064B0.jpeg
    450.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Hey, everyone!

I have three Pekin ducklings and am currently using towels as bedding. Ya, I know, it’s awful lol. So, what I’d like to know is what is the best bedding options for my little ones? I know the clean up is going to be a lot regardless but I would like something that helps soak up their poop and pee and the mess they make in the water. They are about a week old, fyi.

I did manage to find an older post referring to the same thing and someone mentioned puppy pads and shavings. What are your thoughts/opinions? They’ll be inside with me for a while so convenience is definitely something I’m looking for. They do have outside area they can run around in once they get a bit older. They’re definitely not going to be strictly indoors. Could you imagine? 💩

Pictures for cuteness overload 😍
TIA!
Nothing is going to help with the water mess 🤣

But when I’ve got ducklings I line the bottom with newspaper and then cover with pine shavings. The newspaper just makes it so you can roll it up and get rid of it easier. But a puppy pad would be better for more absorbency.

They’re so cute! Keep the pics comin!

Nothing is going to help with the water mess 🤣

But when I’ve got ducklings I line the bottom with newspaper and then cover with pine shavings. The newspaper just makes it so you can roll it up and get rid of it easier. But a puppy pad would be better for more absorbency.

They’re so cute! Keep the pics comin!
Lol you’re right about the water mess! Guess I worded that wrong.

For the first day or two after hatching I put a towel on top of the pads to help any babies who are still wobbly on their feet, but after that I use the pads only.
Good to know! Mine are about a week old. I know this most likely depends on how many ducklings you have but how long do the pads typically last?

Good to know! Mine are about a week old. I know this most likely depends on how many ducklings you have but how long do the pads typically last?
It does depend on how many ducklings and how old they are, but once they're over 2 weeks old I'm changing bedding twice a day for 2-3 ducklings.
Yours are so cute. ❤️ I planned to start hatching again in March but I don't think I can wait that long!

Back
Top Bottom