Bedtime Bullying

OldManDan

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2024
Eastern Virginia
My first thread posted back in February was about a packing order/bullying problem. That sorted itself out over time, and the flock was all happy again. But here's the new problem:

Our flock consists of two easter eggers and two wyandottes, all the same age, 11 months, and all raised together from week old chicks. The wyandottes are definitely at the top of the order, but there is no real bullying. That is, we've never had blood drawn or feathers pulled.
I recently (one month ago) built them a nice big coop, and they settled in pretty quick. The coop is 6' x 3.75' (22.5 sq. feet) and the attached run is 6' x 10' (60 sq. feet). There are two roosting bars, one in the front and one in the back, both about 3.75' long.

Coop and run:
Coop1b.jpg

Ramp and pop hole:
Screenshot_20240414_132758_Messages.jpg

Normally they are out free ranging the yard, and at night they have been going in the run near dark then into the coop. But starting a few days ago, the wyandottes are actively chasing the easter eggers from entering the coop. Once they are all in they get up on the roosts and settle down, sometimes all four are on the back roost, sometimes it's two and two, sometimes three and one. But the problem is the wyandottes go in first and then guard the ramp and coop entrance. And then it's pretty dark and the easter eggers have to go in in almost darkness.

Roosting bars:
Screenshot_20240414_132748_Messages.jpg

We're first time chicken keepers so this may be a nonissue to most, but any suggestions? It's getting to the point where the easter eggers act terrified when it starts to get dark.

Thanks!

My first thread posted back in February was about a packing order/bullying problem. That sorted itself out over time, and the flock was all happy again. But here's the new problem:

Our flock consists of two easter eggers and two wyandottes, all the same age, 11 months, and all raised together from week old chicks. The wyandottes are definitely at the top of the order, but there is no real bullying. That is, we've never had blood drawn or feathers pulled.
I recently (one month ago) built them a nice big coop, and they settled in pretty quick. The coop is 6' x 3.75' (22.5 sq. feet) and the attached run is 6' x 10' (60 sq. feet). There are two roosting bars, one in the front and one in the back, both about 3.75' long.

Coop and run:
View attachment 3827115

Ramp and pop hole:
View attachment 3827127

Normally they are out free ranging the yard, and at night they have been going in the run near dark then into the coop. But starting a few days ago, the wyandottes are actively chasing the easter eggers from entering the coop. Once they are all in they get up on the roosts and settle down, sometimes all four are on the back roost, sometimes it's two and two, sometimes three and one. But the problem is the wyandottes go in first and then guard the ramp and coop entrance. And then it's pretty dark and the easter eggers have to go in in almost darkness.

Roosting bars:
View attachment 3827117

We're first time chicken keepers so this may be a nonissue to most, but any suggestions? It's getting to the point where the easter eggers act terrified when it starts to get dark.

Thanks!
I would separate the EE's. Peace in the flocks is important - so is safety. Do you have the space to expand so the EE's can have their own coop/run?

I would separate the EE's. Peace in the flocks is important - so is safety. Do you have the space to expand so the EE's can have their own coop/run?
Thanks for replying. I'm not sure this would be possible at this time, for reasons of cost and yard space. It's strange because during the day they will hang together, dust bathe together, peck around the yard together, but soon as it starts to get dark this problem happens.

Back
Top Bottom