Bee attack, stung in eye, eyes are cloudy

0die

Songster
9 Years
Apr 20, 2015
corpus christi, tx 78413
I had a massive bee attack on the coop. Most have fully recovered but 2 chickens still have eye trouble. Not sure if it will clear up or permanently vision impaired. It happened at 2 months old. Pictures are yesterday after about 6 weeks since the attack.

The RIR has one eye that is opaque or cloudy and appears to be swollen or has some kinda "blister" on it. The other eye looks slightly swollen & cloudy, but not really clear either. She will spin around in circles a lot before getting oriented. It seems she moves more based upon sounds.

The Black Australorp has one eye that appears slightly swollen and slightly cloudy. The other eye appears normal and clear but the surrounding eye lid seems slightly deformed or something.

neither chicken will fly or jump up on any perch. If they can walk up or climb up on something low, like a few inches up they will perch on things like a chair leg cross brace or small cardboard box or large water bowl. They are reluctant to jump down from any height that they can't step down from...I'm guessing lack of depth perception is preventing them from flying/jumping up or down.
20240506_163132.jpg
20240506_163215(0).jpg
20240506_163216.jpg
20240506_163224.jpg
20240506_163226(0).jpg

I have no experience with this. But I would offer water and food to each chicken often, and perhaps use some Terramycin or Neosporin ointment in the eyes.

Most have fully recovered but 2 chickens still have eye trouble. Not sure if it will clear up or permanently vision impaired. It happened at 2 months old. Pictures are yesterday after about 6 weeks since the attack.

The RIR has one eye that is opaque or cloudy and appears to be swollen or has some kinda "blister" on it. The other eye looks slightly swollen & cloudy, but not really clear either.

The Black Australorp has one eye that appears slightly swollen and slightly cloudy.
I'm sorry, I've never encountered this either.

This all happened 6 weeks ago? What did the eyes look like right after the attack?

Back
Top Bottom