before you give wormer, please read

Perris

Still learning
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jan 28, 2018
Gower, Wales
I don't think this changes anything as far as management practices go. Yes, parasites are an important part of the ecosystem, as are bacteria, but we don't let harmful bacteria run rampant in a human or an animal because of it, likewise, if your birds have worms they should be treated. I don't see anything in the article that's against people treating parasites in their own animals either. I think it's more just trying to explain how even parasites have an important role in the environment, which they do

I don't see anything in the article that's against people treating parasites in their own animals either. I think it's more just trying to explain how even parasites have an important role in the environment, which they do
agreed, but resistance to anthelmintics is a growing issue. The following is about the problem with sheep, but a similar situation is developing with poultry and other farmed animals:

"The SCOPS guidelines are summarised as:
  • Always make sure that any treatment you give is fully effective.
  • Try to reduce your reliance on anthelmintics using management options and monitoring where possible.
  • Avoid bringing in resistant worms and/or other parasites by following a robust quarantine routine.
  • Minimise the selection for worms that are resistant to anthelmintics when you treat sheep.
Anthelmintics are an essential treatment option and highly effective for PGE when used correctly and in the proper circumstances. They must not however be used without careful thought being given to the risk that each use brings to the potential emergence of resistance." (emphasis added)

https://www.nadis.org.uk/disease-a-z/sheep/anthelmintic-resistance-on-sheep-farms/

edited to add a quote and ref specifically for poultry:
"The number of medications approved for treatment of helminthiasis in poultry is decreasing. There are also reports of resistance developing.

To decrease the potential spread of resistance, treatment should be limited to birds with severe infestation that show clinical signs of disease. Such targeted treatment also seems to more effectively decrease worm burden and cumulative environmental parasite egg numbers than untargeted routine treatment. Worm loads have been reported to rebound quickly after deworming, however."
https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultr...sis-in-poultry#Treatment-and-Control_v3341937

Last edited:
I don’t de-worm unless I see symptoms, and/or a fecal float test indicates a very heavy parasite load.
So far in my experience that is a very rare occurrence.
What are the symptoms you look for?

A couple of mine have very poopy bottoms, one had very watery droppings, and one had blood in her runny stool.

I know I should probably go post this in the right forum but…

I don’t de-worm unless I see symptoms, and/or a fecal float test indicates a very heavy parasite load.
So far in my experience that is a very rare occurrence.
exactly. Some worm burden is normal and not a cause for concern. Key points from the MSD vet manual page earlier cited are:
  • "Helminthiasis is an infestation with parasitic worms and usually does not cause clinical signs.
  • Reliable speciation is done based on the morphology of the adult worms. Detection of eggs in the feces proves infestation but does not always help to differentiate species.
  • Control relies on improvement of management and sanitation. Very few compounds are approved for use in chickens and turkeys and should only be used in severe cases."

What are the symptoms you look for?

A couple of mine have very poopy bottoms, one had very watery droppings, and one had blood in her runny stool.

I know I should probably go post this in the right forum but…
That sounds like coccidia - which would also be found by a fecal float test and would not be cured by worming.

Back
Top Bottom