roostingwithromy

Chirping
Apr 9, 2024
Peoria, Az
Good Morning All! I'm just starting my urban homesteading journey, and I'm super excited to learn everything I can about raising a small flock of egg-laying hens in Peoria, Az. From what I've been able to glean so far, it looks like Ameraucana, Andalusian, Naked Neck & Plymouth Rock are the most heat-tolerant breeds. Can anybody confirm or deny? Are any of these breeds more "friendly" than others? Or is that something I can encourage during chick-hood? :)

It sounds like a decent starter flock consists of no less than 5 hens. Does that sound right? I'm not interested in keeping a rooster at this time. I'm trying to homestead without having to slaughter, so only looking for egg-laying guidance.

I also thought I saw a topic regarding starting a flock from eggs due to hatch vs buying days-old chicks. Does anybody have any feedback? Is there a 'better way' from the perspective of flock harmony? Obviously I'll google pros & cons, but since you guys are the pros . . . :)

And last question at this moment (LOL) - are there pros/cons regarding keeping a flock of a single breed versus keeping a flock made up of multiple breeds? Flock cohesion & harmony are very important to me! I want my girls to be super happy!

Thanks in advance!! I'm a sponge at this point - tell me everything! :)

Welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us.
From what I've been able to glean so far, it looks like Ameraucana, Andalusian, Naked Neck & Plymouth Rock are the most heat-tolerant breeds. Can anybody confirm or deny? Are any of these breeds more "friendly" than others? Or is that something I can encourage during chick-hood? :)
I wouldn't say these are the most heat hardy breeds ever, but they should all do well in your climate. Out of the breeds you've listed I've owned Plymouth Rocks, Naked Necks, and Ameraucanas (and Easter Eggers). They were all very friendly birds. The Ameraucanas can be a bit flightier than some of the others but they're still great birds. Socializing with them when they're young will help you have tame adults.
It sounds like a decent starter flock consists of no less than 5 hens. Does that sound right? I'm not interested in keeping a rooster at this time. I'm trying to homestead without having to slaughter, so only looking for egg-laying guidance.
5 is a great number to start with. If you're building your coop, I'd make it bigger in case you decide to expand your flock in the future. Chickens are addicting. :p
I also thought I saw a topic regarding starting a flock from eggs due to hatch vs buying days-old chicks. Does anybody have any feedback? Is there a 'better way' from the perspective of flock harmony? Obviously I'll google pros & cons, but since you guys are the pros . . . :)
Hatching eggs is fun, but a little riskier than buying chicks. It can be harder to find the eggs of the breeds you want, and you can't guarantee to have a good hatch rate. You may also hatch out cockerels. I'd go with buying day olds. You can get the breeds you want, and you can get them sexed.
And last question at this moment (LOL) - are there pros/cons regarding keeping a flock of a single breed versus keeping a flock made up of multiple breeds? Flock cohesion & harmony are very important to me! I want my girls to be super happy!

Thanks in advance!! I'm a sponge at this point - tell me everything! :)
It's really just personal preference. Some people like watching a flock of all different breeds roaming around, and you get a colorful egg basket. If you ever decide to get a rooster and hatch your own chicks, you'll have a bunch of surprise-colored babies. Some people like having a single breed flock. Those that do are usually breeding to the SOP or are using them for meat/egg purposes. That isn't always the case though, some just like the look of the flock being the same breed.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us.

I wouldn't say these are the most heat hardy breeds ever, but they should all do well in your climate. Out of the breeds you've listed I've owned Plymouth Rocks, Naked Necks, and Ameraucanas (and Easter Eggers). They were all very friendly birds. The Ameraucanas can be a bit flightier than some of the others but they're still great birds. Socializing with them when they're young will help you have tame adults.

5 is a great number to start with. If you're building your coop, I'd make it bigger in case you decide to expand your flock in the future. Chickens are addicting. :p

Hatching eggs is fun, but a little riskier than buying chicks. It can be harder to find the eggs of the breeds you want, and you can't guarantee to have a good hatch rate. You may also hatch out cockerels. I'd go with buying day olds. You can get the breeds you want, and you can get them sexed.

It's really just personal preference. Some people like watching a flock of all different breeds roaming around, and you get a colorful egg basket. If you ever decide to get a rooster and hatch your own chicks, you'll have a bunch of surprise-colored babies. Some people like having a single breed flock. Those that do are usually breeding to the SOP or are using them for meat/egg purposes. That isn't always the case though, some just like the look of the flock being the same breed.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
OMG! I shouldn't be shocked, but THANK YOU!!! You legit answered every single question in an intelligent, cohesive manner without talking down to me! I appreciate it so much!!! You just catapulted me eons into my process! Thanks so much! :)

OMG! I shouldn't be shocked, but THANK YOU!!! You legit answered every single question in an intelligent, cohesive manner without talking down to me! I appreciate it so much!!! You just catapulted me eons into my process! Thanks so much! :)
You're welcome! You'll find our community is full of kind and knowledgeable people.

Welcome to BYC.
I am a huge fan of naked necks. I'm in Texas and they do well in the summer months.
Have you considered welsummers and crested cream legbars? Every legbar that I've had has been a lap chicken. My only welsummer is very friendly, and she lays a beautiful dark reddish brown egg with speckles. The legbars lay large blue eggs.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

My first flock was all the same breed and well, after a while looking at the same colors was boring. 🤣 A mixed flock is pretty, some will lay at different rates, you will have a wide variety of personalities, some broodies, it's just fun to have a mixed breed flock.

Make yourself at home here and welcome to our community!

Back
Top Bottom