Best bedding - hay or shavings?

I've noticed that the majority of people prefer wood chips to hay but I use either/both. It depends on what's going on at my feed store. I like the compressed bags of chopped up straw that I was just able to get recently so that's what I'm using with my current chicks. I think it's about what's most absorbent and this stuff is doing a good job. But in general wood chips are usually more absorbent than a bale of timothy or alphalfa.

I've noticed that the majority of people prefer wood chips to hay but I use either/both. It depends on what's going on at my feed store. I like the compressed bags of chopped up straw that I was just able to get recently so that's what I'm using with my current chicks. I think it's about what's most absorbent and this stuff is doing a good job. But in general wood chips are usually more absorbent than a bale of timothy or alphalfa.
Thank you so much! I was wondering as I currently use shavings but there is a farmer down the road I can get cheap hay from. I do like the shavings too so far!

Thank you so much! I was wondering as I currently use shavings but there is a farmer down the road I can get cheap hay from. I do like the shavings too so far!
I'm glad you didn't find it annoying that I said both, haha. If I had cheap local hay I'd for sure grab some, I just love having hay around for the smell, put in nest boxes, my chicks can bed down in it under their MHP. But then of course I also have woods chips around the brooder. I'm indecisive. :idunno

I use shavings for when they're really young but when they get older i switch to hay because they cant kick it into the water as easy.
edit: Hay is easier to clean out too

Back
Top Bottom