Best breed to go with Rhode Island Red Flock?

I think you could add just about anything!
Nope. RIR is one of those breeds where you should NOT add just about anything. They are dominant and prone to chicken-on-chicken aggression, and will bully submissive breeds (or individuals). You should be very careful what you add to them. OP is very wise to ask for advice before getting just anything. I don't keep or like dominant breeds or RIRs and their derivatives, so I don't have advice on specific breeds to add, just on what to avoid - the mellow and submissive breeds (like Orpingtons, Barnevelders, etc.), as well as any breeds with intentionally-bred defects that may look "cute" but handicap the chicken's ability to see or avoid threats - like Silkies, Polish, etc. who are defenseless and easy targets for bully breeds.

Nope. RIR is one of those breeds where you should NOT add just about anything. They are dominant and prone to chicken-on-chicken aggression, and will bully submissive breeds (or individuals). You should be very careful what you add to them. OP is very wise to ask for advice before getting just anything. I don't keep or like dominant breeds or RIRs and their derivatives, so I don't have advice on specific breeds to add, just on what to avoid - the mellow and submissive breeds (like Orpingtons, Barnevelders, etc.), as well as any breeds with intentionally-bred defects that may look "cute" but handicap the chicken's ability to see or avoid threats - like Silkies, Polish, etc. who are defenseless and easy targets for bully breeds.
Oh ok lol all of my RIRs were very submissive and fine with all others including younger birds. Maybe I just got lucky on each and every one of mine

Oh ok lol all of my RIRs were very submissive and fine with all others including younger birds. Maybe I just got lucky on each and every one of mine
RIRs are extremely popular and common, both mass produced by hatcheries and bred by breeders. It is very possible that different lines will vary between each other, as will individuals. But on the whole, the breed is a very well known bully and the chicken groups are full of people complaining that RIRs are terrorizing their other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom