Best Chicken waterers

[QUOTE="J...Hope someone finds this useful.[/QUOTE]

That would be me. Thanks for the pics. I think I might buy some horizontal nipples from Amazon and try the vinegar bottle idea. I did not know about drilling in an air hole at the top for better water flow, but I guess it only makes sense for those nipple. Thanks.

...Last year I bought one of the 5 gallon double wall founts and have a heated base for the winter. Best investment I have made....

Glad to hear it works great. I live in northern Minnesota and have purchased a double wall fount and a heated base for this coming winter. I have not used it yet, as this will be my first winter with chickens, but I bought the fount and heated base when on sale on the local farm store figuring it was the best option they had in the store.

I have been using a 30 gallon trash can with horizontal nipples for about 3 years now and love it. I just keep it in the shade in the summer and in the sun in the winter. It sits on a 4 x 4 frame with the nipples about 6" from the bottom of the can mostly for the winter heating. Where i live in Ky the temps usually don't get below ten degree's so i have found that a 50 watt bird bath heater will keep 10 -15 gallons thawed. With 5 nipples up to 35 hens will do fine with this set up.

I guess it would depend on where you live and the size of your flock. I use auto waterers.
autochickenwaterer.jpg

The best waterer for me is a 11 gallon tote with lid, horizontal nipples, and in winter a stock tank deicer that is rated for use in plastic. Only needs filled once a week and even then it's not close to running out. Chickens happy. I'm happy as I don't have to worry about their water all the time. I have 7 chickens.

That's a really good idea and I already have several totes I could use and I have a stock tank float. Hmmmm

View attachment 1801009 View attachment 1801008 I love these waterers and they are so easy to make and the gallon vinegar bottle is perfect because it is thicker than other bottles. I had the cups like you see in the 1st picture on all of my waters to begin with but started using the horizontal nipples after using them with the baby chicks. I just don’t know if the nipples will freeze in the winter.

I live in Georgia and it can get VERY hot here so I have a few waterers available at all times since my girls free range.

If you decide to make these make sure you drill a small hole in the other end so the water will flow when they use the waterer.

Hope someone finds this useful.
what kind of holder do you have for the top one? do your birds like to use those side nipples? How did you get it in that vinegar bottle?

I have tried exactly what the OP shows. For 5 months, my girls still couldn't figure it out. Dumb birds. :he

So I went back to what I had before..this time I got the one I can plug in during winter to keep it from freezing. It was worth the money and not hard at all to keep clean.

Attachments

• water jug.jpg
    water jug.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 4
5 gallon bucket. 3 HN. Lid not fully closed to allow air flow. Where it sits prevents them from sitting/ pooping on it. It also out of the sun. Stick tank used in dead of winter. The HN don't freeze. At least rarely. And each morning i make sure they are operational. I was going to post a picture but my uploads seem to not be working. I just posted a picture in another thread on hacks.
What does this mean? "
Stick tank used in dead of winter. The HN don't freeze"

What does this mean? "Stick tank used in dead of winter. The HN don't freeze"

This thread has been inactive for over 3 years, so I don't know if the original poster is still around. However, it showed up on my notifications so I will attempt to offer a suggestion as to the meaning of that post.

I suspect the poster meant to say "stock" tank. not "stick" tank. I have never heard of a stick tank, but stock tanks are used everywhere. Probably a simple typo. "HN" appears to mean horizontal nipple.

Putting it all together, a person could put a water heater inside a stock tank in the dead of winter, and the horizontal nipples would stay ice free because the water in the stock tank is heated.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom