BEST DAY TO GO INTO LOCKDOWN DAY 16 OR DAY 18?

MountainMarans2012

Crowing
12 Years
Feb 8, 2012
Bodfish Canyon, California
I heard that the best day to set eggs for lockdown is Day 16. I alway's was told Day 18. Is there anyone that has tried this, and was your results better at Day 16 over Day 18 Lockdown? My
16 th Day will be tonight, and 18 th Day would be Tuesday March 7 th......Thank you in advance
jumpy.gif

I heard that the best day to set eggs for lockdown is Day 16. I alway's was told Day 18.  Is there anyone that has tried this, and was your results better at Day 16 over Day 18 Lockdown? My
16 th Day will be tonight, and 18 th Day would be Tuesday March 7 th......Thank you in advance :jumpy  

In my opinion, day 16 is too early for lockdown without cause. Unless your temps are high and you are having action prior to day 18, there is no cause for early lockdown at I can think of unless the air cells are growing too big. Even with my silkies, I don't go into lockdown early.
I go into lockdown Tuesday as well. Unless I am seeing signs of early internal pipping, which I don't expect, I will higher humidity Tuesday afternoon.

I believe, if your air cells are on target, highering the humidity early is more risky than beneficial. Now stopping turning early, I'm on board with. I stop turning day 14.

Temps seem fine, but air cells look to small for 16 days. I have them in a circulated air with turner incubator, temp says 100.1, but air cells are small, and Incubator is vented also. I figured if they weren't going to hatch because of this, I should get them out of this incubator and put into another that is a still air without turner for lockdown.

Temps seem fine, but air cells look to small for 16 days. I have them in a circulated air with turner incubator, temp says 100.1, but air cells are small, and Incubator is vented also. I figured if they weren't going to hatch because of this, I should get them out of this incubator and put into another that is a still air without turner for lockdown.

If air cells are small, the last thing you want to do is go into lockdown with higher humidity early. You can move them, stop turning and all that, but I would not raise the humidity early. The incubator should be vented, more so for hatch and 100 if accurate is good for forced air incubation. I incubate and hatch in forced air and have my vents open the entire hatch.

I'd candle at day 18 and see if the air cell has grown. If it looks good go into lockdown, if it still is significantly small, you can wait until you get an internal pip. The important thing is once you have an external pip you get the humidity up.

Back
Top Bottom