Best decision ever

annaraven

Born this way
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
SillyCon Valley
I just have to say, getting chickens has to be one of the best decisions we ever made. It has improved our quality of life. Not just the fresh eggs, which DH and I are spoiled now - we went to a conference last week and both agreed that we were NOT going to bother ordering anything with eggs. But the feeling of abundance we got, walking in from the taxi, and seeing the bowl of eggs in the kitchen: I feel rich, and blessed. And then there's the delight of walking by the window or patio door and seeing the chickens out in the backyard, just doing chicken things - crazy, silly, chicken stuff. I have one of the BYC bumper stickers that calls it "cheep therapy". It's a cute pun, but it's got a fair bit of truth to it as well. You can't be angry or upset watching a bunch of chicken clucking around in the yard. And then there's just the whole feeling of security knowing where my food is coming from, and what's in it (my grass and flowers!) and the increased sense of self-reliance that comes with it, encouraging self-sufficiency moves like gardening veggies (I mean, how can you have all that chicken poop around and *NOT* compost - and if you compost, you have to garden to use it... ), which leads to canning my own produce, and my most recent, hooking up a rainwater collection system for watering my garden. It's a virtuous cycle!

Okay, so this is probably sounding a bit overboard but I just had to say it out loud somewhere that people might understand. And for those who are considering getting chickens - DO IT! Yeah, there's downsides and costs involved, but they are so totally worth it!

And thank you to BYC for making it possible to dabble in chickens without fear of doing it wrong.

i soooooo agree anna.. this year we are enlarging our garden. it was 75x75 this year it will be about 75x125.. and planting mostly things i can either freeze or can.. not just the quirky things we try.. i also ordered 200 strawberry plants to arrive in may.. can hardly wait!!! now if the hens would just start laying again.. had a very dark and snowy winter..come on spring!

I love this post; thank you for putting it here. "It's a virtuous cycle"...great truth!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom