Best flooring for run that can sometimes have standing water

kellylaurin523

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2018
Hi all-
Advanced aplogies, newbie here with lots of questions...

I live in Charleston, which is called the "lowcountry" for a reason. I recently built a coop in my yard with a 5'x10' run. During a heavy rain last week, about 1/2 of the run flooded about 2 inches. As I just constructed the coop, I have not yet added any materials to go on top of the dirt floor. I have the frame sitting up on cinderblocks and the water did not go above the blocks.

First question:
I know I need to raise/fill in the the run, especially the lowest part, but wasn't sure the best way to do this to allow for drainage. Right now, given the water issue, I am leaning towards getting some gravel/sand delivered to raise the ground up 3 inches, and then put a few more inches of wood chips on top of that. Would that work? Any suggestions?

Second question:
Inside the coop I have pine shavings and am interested in DLM with in the henhouse itself. I get confused when I read about the DLM and don't know if it is specifically for the henhouse, or the run...or both! I thought I read somewhere that the DLM can operate in the run as well. So, if I had organic matter (pine shavigs, wood bark chips) on top of the gravel, could I still do a DML in the run?

Part B: Can you put the bedding from the hen house, onto the floor of the run, to continue the breakdown process?

I hope that all makes sense. Thank you in advance, all suggestions welcome!

1st. Yes and Yes...all wood chips might be better tho. They can dig down a good 8".

2nd. Can do DLM in both, but I prefer just the run, keeps the coop drier and it doesn't work too well unless it's touching the ground.

Part B. Yes.

If your run is not the lowest of your low country, can you dig drainage trenches to reduce the puddling?

Pics of your run and the surrounding area would help.

Here is a picture of my current set up, the portion of the yard to the left is what ends up flooding. With more rain, it creeps slowly up to the right, but thankfully that hasn't happened yet with the exception of a hurricane last year. I am not sure where I could drain the water to at this point? Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_3269.JPG
    IMG_3269.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 26
Can't really tell if there is any lower land there or not.
Digging trenches might work, best do to in the pouring rain,
even that might not do with hurricane type rainfall.
About the only thing you can do is add a bunch of fill dirt to get coop and run up higher.

Here is a picture of my current set up, the portion of the yard to the left is what ends up flooding. With more rain, it creeps slowly up to the right, but thankfully that hasn't happened yet with the exception of a hurricane last year. I am not sure where I could drain the water to at this point? Thank you!!
As you move to the left of the run in the direction of the tree/rock bed, or towards the cameraman, does the yard get lower?

As you move to the left of the run in the direction of the tree/rock bed, or towards the cameraman, does the yard get lower?
Sorry for my late reply, was on vactaion! But yes, as you move to the left, the yard gets lower and that is where it starts to fill up first with water and moves towards the right of the picture

Back
Top Bottom