Best housing for indoor house Quail (pet)

allygibbs73

Chirping
May 8, 2018
My quail, Cricket is almost 2 weeks and is still comfortable in her 10 gallon fish tank but I need a more permanent cage for her for when she is full grown. I've seen almost everyone use small rabbit cages and was wondering what size would work best or if you have a better idea for a cage. Cricket is out with me most of the day so she will only be caged at night or if I go out and she can't come with me. Thank you in advance!
Allison
IMG-5073.JPG

The bigger the better is almost always valid. So if you have space for it, give her a palace. Although she won't be in there much, the fact that she's used to much more room means you should still aim for a large cage when she does have to stay at home alone.
You can easily build a quail cage yourself, if you want to save some money and have some materials laying around.
Also, I'd definitely get cricket some friends. She might be very imprinted on you and seem happy, but when you are not around, she will definitely suffer.

The bigger the better is almost always valid. So if you have space for it, give her a palace. Although she won't be in there much, the fact that she's used to much more room means you should still aim for a large cage when she does have to stay at home alone.
You can easily build a quail cage yourself, if you want to save some money and have some materials laying around.
Also, I'd definitely get cricket some friends. She might be very imprinted on you and seem happy, but when you are not around, she will definitely suffer.

Ok thank you! I'll give her the biggest I can. I have 4 adult quail that live outside. They are pretty skittish and don't like me to even be near them so I can't really use one of them as a friend for her but when I take Cricket outside I put her in with them for a bit and they don't care and just go about their business. Is that enough or should I hatch another one to be with her 24/7?

If she's a coturnix, she needs to be in a group of at least 4, more if one is a male.
You could try taming the quail outside by giving them food and bringing them inside.
Alternately, why not put her outside and continue treating her like a pet? She'll stay tame.

If the ones outside don't care that you let her in with them, I'd let her stay with them. At first, maybe only when you can keep an eye on them to make sure they don't bully her. Later she can stay out all the time, but maybe you can bring her in for some cuddling when you feel like it. I'm not sure she will continue to accept being removed from her flock, but if you do it for a bit every day, she might not have a problem with it. It will take a lot of weight off your shoulders, that you are not her only company.

If she's a coturnix, she needs to be in a group of at least 4, more if one is a male.
You could try taming the quail outside by giving them food and bringing them inside.
Alternately, why not put her outside and continue treating her like a pet? She'll stay tame.

Ok I'll try that, thanks!

If the ones outside don't care that you let her in with them, I'd let her stay with them. At first, maybe only when you can keep an eye on them to make sure they don't bully her. Later she can stay out all the time, but maybe you can bring her in for some cuddling when you feel like it. I'm not sure she will continue to accept being removed from her flock, but if you do it for a bit every day, she might not have a problem with it. It will take a lot of weight off your shoulders, that you are not her only company.

That's true, I'll see what I can do. I just worry she's too young to be with them full time right now. Maybe I'll try to tame one of them for now and then later put them all together outside. Thank you for your advice!

Don't separate one out and then put it back, that's bad for the group dynamics.
Put her out with them. If they don't attack or persistently chase her, she'll be just fine. If you're really concerned about the temperatures, a heat lamp might be a good thing to put outside for a bit, or you could keep her in for another week, but she needs to live with more of her own kind.

Don't separate one out and then put it back, that's bad for the group dynamics.
Put her out with them. If they don't attack or persistently chase her, she'll be just fine. If you're really concerned about the temperatures, a heat lamp might be a good thing to put outside for a bit, or you could keep her in for another week, but she needs to live with more of her own kind.

Ok thank you I'll try that!

Back
Top Bottom