best inexpensive incuabator vs homemade incubator

chicken fever

Songster
7 Years
Jan 30, 2012
dallas, tx
i am VERY new to hatching and I am looking to see what is the best most inexpensive incubator? I do like the ones with fans and auto-turners. found one with a plastic liner to make easy cleaning as well. What are ya'll experiences with what incubators work best? Pros and cons of different ones as well.

just a hobby breeder :)

Welcome to the forum!!!
frow.gif

I too am new to incubating. I got a Little Giant on e bay. It came with an egg turner, digital thermom/hyg. and a light to candle with. Oh and it has a fan. I finally got it stabilized.

I hope you find this place as informative as I have. The folks here are VERY kind.

If you are iffy about making an incubator, "Don't Do It." I didn't have experience with making incubators, but I decided I wanted to make a cooler incubator, and it has taken me a year to get it where I want it. (It didn't take me a year to build it). I just mean that it's been a year since I have decided to make my last updates, and remodeling to it. I am VERY happy with it now.

I have a page on my Cooler incubator if you would like to see it.

In the process of learning how to build this incubator I looked EVERYWHERE for instructions, wiring diagrams and other things to make my cooler bator a successful incubator.

If you don't have the drive to want to do this, just buy an incubator. I am saying this, because people think making the incubator will be fast, and cheap.

I enjoy helping people specifically with homemade incubators, but some people don't like to help themselves.

If you are all in with making a home made incubator get back with me, (a PM will do fine)

If you are on the fence, with the homemade incubator idea, then I recommend to buy the new 2012 Circulated Air DIGITAL Genesis Hovabator, with the egg turner.

DO NOT, I REPEAT "DO NOT BUY THE LITTLE GIANT INCUBATOR". The hovabator is a little pricey compared to the Little Giant, but SO worth it.

I may seem to be putting the Little Giant incubator down, but I have had 3 of these incubators, Mainly because this type of incubator was the only one available to me at the time. I haven't used my little giant incubator since I built my cooler incubator, and my Fridge incubator. I have no need for it. I am going to add a wafer thermostat to my little giant incubator though. I am just waiting for the money. Hopefully I can at least loan this incubator to my friend when he has a need for it.

Last edited:
I have 4 little giant incubators. I used three for incubating and 1 for hatching. Mine had the auto turner but were still air. I had excellant success with them last year. I did notice that they didn't hold temp and humidity as well once winter set in. That became a big problem for me so I bought a new Dickeys incubator and a new Dickeys Hatcher. Now I am over the moon. I am keeping My LGs as backup in case my birds go crazy with egg laying and I run out of room in the Dickeys which hold almost 300 eggs. LOL!

Lanae

i ended up purchasing a FARM INNOVATORS PRO SERIES incubator. It's supposed to be really good.
is has the following:
THIS IS A NEW PRODUCT FROM FARM INNOVATORS & HAS ADDED FEATURES NOT INCLUDED WITH LITTLE GIANT OR HOVA-BATOR BRAND:
ALL PRODUCTS LISTED BELOW ARE INCLUDED WITH THIS PRO SERIES INCUBATOR & ARE READY FOR USE!!!
PRO SERIES INCUBATOR Farm Innovators model 4200 incubator with built in turner, fan, thermometer, hygrometer, temp dial, indicator light, twin vents, & free candler all included in one easy to use setup.
  • DURABLE PLASTIC OUTER SHELL PROTECTS INCUBATOR AND IS EASY TO CLEAN (only available with this Pro Series)
  • BUILT IN THERMOMETER AND HYGROMETER ON THE TOP FACE, RIGHT WHERE YOU WANT IT to measure internal temperature.
  • BUILT IN TEMPERATURE ADJUSTMENT DIAL ON THE FACE, ALSO RIGHT WHERE YOU WANT IT to measure internal humidity.
  • Built in red led indicator light to show when heater is operating
  • Twin built in vent plugs on the face
  • Inner core under plastic shell is made of durable styrofoam to help retain warmth and keep a constant temperature.
  • Incubators feature two 9.5 inch x 3.5 inch viewing windows - ideal for educational purposes
  • Built in Fan Kit included!!!
  • Automatic egg turner is included!!!
  • Additional probe thermometer included!!! To place directly on the eggs
  • Built in moisture rings.
  • Wire grill safely supports eggs during hatch period if not using turner.
  • Holds 42 grade A large chicken eggs on the turner and more than 4 dozen if off the turner.
  • Solid state circuitry for long lasting and reliable temperature setting
  • FREE 110 VOLT EGG CANDLER IS INCLUDED!!!
I will keep yall updated on my hatch rate!

Hey gals,
I recieved the incubator two days ago! It's been setting up and so far holds the temp and humidity great! I'm setting eggs in it tonight so I will keep yall posted

I am also planning to purchase an incubator in the near future. I'm not crazy about the styrofoam types, because they are harder to clean. I like Brinsea's incubators, but they are very pricey. The new Reptipro 6000 sounds good and is at a great price, but only holds 32 eggs and I haven't seen any hatch results out yet. The R-Com's have nice features, but don't hold many eggs and are also pricey. I wish we could have a sticky post of incubators, pros, cons, hatch rates, prices, etc. Cabinet incubators are great, but I can't afford one and from what I understand, many people incubate in one, and hatch in another. This is so confusing!

Meanwhile, a friend has loaned me her Hovabator to try out. I'm extremely thankful for her generosity and for the opportunity to hatch eggs.

Back
Top Bottom