best quail for pet?

chickenjones

Songster
10 Years
Jun 30, 2009
Burleson, TX
Hi All,
I am looking at quail for pets...are there any that like to be held or at least handled a little? I love the button quail but everything I read is that they are flighty and don't like to be held. I started looking at other kinds and realized all of them are beautiful!!! So which kind makes the best pet? and do they do better housed together like chickens?

most if not all quail do not really like to be held. I do have some buttons that I keep as pairs in the house that do come to me for treats but they flighty and don't like to be held. My bobs are the same

Unless you constantly handle them from hatch and spend a ton of time with them, it will be very hard to tame them down.

Quail R Not Pets, Quail R Food---dont Play With Your Food
smile.png

Seriously Tho... Coturnix Are About The Most Easily Handled And Least Flighty

JJMR794 - you sound like my DH! I have eaten them before but not these that I am learning about. They are Bob Whites I think. Thanks for everyones comments!

I would get two buttons but like someone has already said, you have to constantly hold them or handle them and kind of gain their trust. There are people who have their buttons and courtnix in total control like a parrot or a cockatiel but it wont be easy since they are technically still instilled with the fight or flight response lol literally with the buttons. Do a good bit of research and see what you decide after that. GOOD LUCK

Back
Top Bottom