Best soup recipe for a 4 month old roo?

We (I and DW) make chicken soup regularly. I just made a large pot the other day. It gets refrigerated, and we take out portions daily, and warm up in microwave.
Do not follow any particular recipe,,, just go with the flow. Also dependent on veggie ingredients on hand.
Ingredients.
Chicken,, Note; we use store purchased chickens. My chickens are my pets, so those do not ever get eaten. We do eat the eggs. I have no opposition of people eating their own chickens. I especially think eating your roosters is a good idea. Rooster enjoys a good life with one bad moment. Much better than what hatcheries do to day old males.:hit
Vegetables;
5 or more carrots
5 or more celery stalks
1 onion
3 or more garlic cloves
5 or more medium size potatoes.
1 TBS salt
1 TSP black pepper

Procedure.
Cut up your chicken into 6 to 8 pieces. Not sure how big your 4 mo old roo is?? If small, then just cut into 2 halves.
Into water, and start to boil. As the boiling continues you will notice a foamy mung starting to float on surface. Remove and discard with a spoon, or a stainless steel sifter/strainer. After a while, no more mung appears on surface, so then add your veggies.
It is advisable to have your veggies prepared ahead of time. All cut into small to medium size cubes. , Dice onion into small pieces, and garlic,,, even smaller.
Add salt and pepper.

When soup stars to boil again, reduce heat to small/low . Cover, and let simmer for about 2 hours.
If soup boils more vigorously, it will be done sooner than 2 hours. I like to simmer on small heat, and for longer time. The meat is very tender, and delicious. practically falling off the bone.

Note that the vegetable amounts posted, are for an average size chicken. Also the salt and pepper amounts are for a large pot of soup. You may need to adjust the salt and pepper amounts to your size (pot of water) and taste preferences.

Having a lot of vegetables only enhances the flavor.:drool:drool:drool
I don't have any pictures handy on this new computer. I will try to find some from my files elsewhere.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Found these on my camera. Last soup pix is from todays dinner.
IMG_20230106_125736472.jpg
IMG_20230106_125743891.jpg
IMG_20230106_125827661.jpg
IMG_20230109_165004828.jpg

When your soup is done, I have a dumpling recipe. (Dumplings should be chewy and not dry.) The dumplings are small-tablespoon sized, no filling. The dumplings swell a bit on their own.

1 cup flour
1/4th cup milk
4 eggs
1/4 tea salt
mix together and if it seems a bit sticky (liquidy) add a bit more flour, seems I always need to do this. I should NOT be like a dry dumpling, they should be sticky but not too sticky. If you scoop a spoonful it should stay on the spoon and not spill off.

With the broth lightly boiling, take a different metal table spoon, dip into the broth, then scoop a spoon of dumpling mix and set the dumpling spoonful in the center of where it is lightly boiling. (Broth on the spoon will keep it from sticking to the spoon.) Keep dumplings in lightly boiling pot for another 10 mins or so.

When your soup is done, I have a dumpling recipe. (Dumplings should be chewy and not dry.) The dumplings are small-tablespoon sized, no filling. The dumplings swell a bit on their own.

1 cup flour
1/4th cup milk
4 eggs
1/4 tea salt
mix together and if it seems a bit sticky (liquidy) add a bit more flour, seems I always need to do this. I should NOT be like a dry dumpling, they should be sticky but not too sticky. If you scoop a spoonful it should stay on the spoon and not spill off.

With the broth lightly boiling, take a different metal table spoon, dip into the broth, then scoop a spoon of dumpling mix and set the dumpling spoonful in the center of where it is lightly boiling. (Broth on the spoon will keep it from sticking to the spoon.) Keep dumplings in lightly boiling pot for another 10 mins or so.
We make a very similar recipe,,, but liquidy/pourable, and add to Tomato soup. I call it instant noodles :old

Back
Top Bottom