best tasting breed

lelystad

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 10, 2010
Hi everyone, I read most of the meat birds section and saw that what most people understand from a good meat bird is the one which yields highest amount of meat in the shortest possible time, however I think that the quality of the meat is much more important that the quantity of the meat. With this in mind, can you suggest me the most flavorful breeds you ever tasted? Thanks alot.

The oldest hen will probably taste the strongest, if that's what you're after. I do not believe that one breed necessarily tests better than any other, but the age of the chicken does make a difference. But with age comes tough and stringy meat. So, it's always a trade-off between flavor and texture.

For all intents and purposes, there is one type of "meat chicken", often called a cornish cross. There are various varieties of the cornish cross, created by various breeders at various times, but the differences between them are minute.

Then you have the heritage breeds, which grow much slower and offer less meat, but some folks here swear by them. Likewise, you can eat an old hen, but I wouldn't try frying or roasting it.

Somewhere in the middle, but leaning heavily toward "meat bird" are the "Freedom Rangers". These offer a balance between slow growth and pounds of meat. I believe that these taste a bit better than the cornish cross, but it's not a huge difference. Additionally, they forage more than a cornish cross and are generally more active birds, but not as active as any heritage breed, and not as good at foraging, either.

If you like a gamey flavor, you might try an araucana. Americana will hint of it also. But other than that, I can't say. I seem to remember something about silkies, but I don't remember exactly what it was. But they are so tiny.

RE: Silkies

The
black meat of a Silkie is generally considered an unusual or unpalatable attribute in European and American cuisines. In contrast, several Asian cuisines consider Silkie meat a gourmet food. Chinese cuisine especially values the breed, but it is also a common ingredient in some Japanese, Cambodian and Korean dishes. Areas where Chinese cuisine has been a strong influence, such as Malaysia, may also cook Silkie. As early as the 7th century, traditional Chinese medicine has held that chicken soup made with Silkie meat is a curative food. The usual methods of cooking include using Silkie to make broth, braising, and in curries. Traditional Chinese soup made with Silkie also uses ingredients such as wolfberries, Dioscorea opposita (white yam), orange peel, and fresh ginger. A few fusion restaurants in metropolitan areas of the West have also cooked it as a part of traditional American or French cuisine, such as in confit.

My opinion
I n this order Jersey Giants, Plymouth Rocks, Brahma.

A lot has to do with letting the meat rest after processing then soaking in salt water for 48 hours. (some use buttermilk) The way you cook it is important too! I have to say the way to go is a slow cooker!!

Joanne

Back
Top Bottom