Best Way to Train a Husky not to Eat Chicks?

Finnishy

Hatching
Jun 27, 2021
Hello!!
So I have two new little chicks I got from Atwoods, and I was wondering if a 10yo Siberian Husky would be able to be trained not to eat them? He’s done fairly well around them, very polite, sniffs eagerly with the little tail wag. However every time he sees them he always licks his chops, like he’s waiting for me to mess up and drop them, or waiting for me to look away.
He’s sniffed them while I helped them from my hands, from my lap, and I even let him sit next to them on the bed.

But the first time I let him outside with them, he did the first nipping attempt. (My girls were doing their happy dance and flapping around, which was too tempting for him I guess.)
So I took him back inside, and we tried another day— he did the same thing. He’s now doing it inside too, only when the chicks are on the ground and not in my hands. Even when I’m watching and holding his collar.
I’ve looked up a lot of ways to train dogs, but I was wondering what this community thinks what would be the best method for his personality? He gets jealous quite easily of other animals getting attention, and he’s killed smaller creatures before.

A dog-proof fence between them.
You might research dogs with high prey drives... some of the dog forums talk about this more than you might find here. It is usually about other small moving pets, especially squeaky/chirpy ones, rather than chicks but the concepts would apply.
Siberian huskies are also toward the independent thinkers side of the willingness-to-do-what-people-want spectrum. And on the not so much side of the the ability-to-accept-prey-animals-into-the -pack spectrum like the LGD breeds do. It helps a lot with the jobs they were bred to do. Not so much with an ability to learn to leave chicks alone.

I've got 3 dogs. One is a lab greyhound mix. She doesn't give the gals a second look. I got some guinea hens and she is on them like flies on stink. Couldn't break her for chasing the guineas. Had to get rid of them. Had to be the nervousness nature they have that triggered her.
Your best bet is to keep them separated. When they get older and bigger, maybe he won't be as interested.

I tried but couldn't break my Husky of killing animals, his prey drive was too strong . MY suggestion is lock your chickens up in a predator proof coop and run and keep them in it permanently if you want chickens.

I have a husky/GSD mix, Luna, and the husky prey drive is incredible. I have had Rottweilers and a Belgian Malinois before but their drive pales in comparison to Luna's. Her focus on the chickens is laser-like and it's extremely difficult to break her attention off them. Our solution is to keep her away from the chickens.

Unfortunately, one of our roosters flew over the fence because he thought she was too close, and she killed him immediately. Our other rooster, the big one, heard the commotion and flew over the fence to attack Luna and he practically landed in her mouth. And was promptly savaged beyond description.

Our newest house rule is that Luna does NOT go outside off-leash.

I used to think my Belgian was mental because of her cat fixation. Loonie's chicken obsession makes my old Belgie look like a slacker.

That's all I got. Sorry. Best luck.

Back
Top Bottom