bethlehen, the christmas chicken.

Shabby Chic-Hens

has eyes like a chicken
Premium Feather Member
Sep 6, 2022
Maine, United States, North America, Earth.
it was a snowy december 24th in 2021, when Iris, our black lab, brought us something unimaginable.
it wasn't an old bone, it wasn't a dead mouse. it was a ripped piece of cardboard box.
or so I thought.
I went to take it away, because we didn't want icy cardboard underneath the quickly falling white flakes, waiting for us to fall and break legs, hips, and fingers.
then, I saw some chicken feet moving.
"iris! drop it!" I screamed. no box of mine had moving chicken legs sticking out of it!
then I thought.
what if she had found a chicken?
Iris had been known to turn birds into fun carry-around toys. I knew that from previous times where Sparkle ( a black austrolorp hen) had become one.
"iris. drop now." she did not. I decided to let her in. once the door was closed behind her, I would then lure her with food. she would open her mouth to eat the food, and the chicken would fall out into my hands.
boy was I wrong.
I will just move on to a different part of the story.
so after I had a, umm, calamity, I was able to catch her and put her (separated) in the hen coop.
we named her Bethlehen after the city that jesus was born. and we put a chickeny twist on it.

so there you have it, the story of a christmas chicken, and a few bad mistakes of mine.

P.S. I was thinking that I would publish a children's picture book on her. comment down below if you think so!

I think you should. You did slightly leave a cliffhanger in your post above, but if you can work around that, I think it'd be great! :thumbsup

How on earth did a chicken end up in a cardboard box, where Iris could find her? Did you ever figure out where she came from?
she was not in a cardboard box. she was the same color and her wings were flapping like some wet, ripped, piece of cardboard box.
we did, somewhat, actually. there's a fox around, and him and iris teamed up to bring chickens here. alas, all of the others were not bird-brains and found their way back to their real home!
we still have bethlehen!

it was a snowy december 24th in 2021, when Iris, our black lab, brought us something unimaginable.
it wasn't an old bone, it wasn't a dead mouse. it was a ripped piece of cardboard box.
or so I thought.
I went to take it away, because we didn't want icy cardboard underneath the quickly falling white flakes, waiting for us to fall and break legs, hips, and fingers.
then, I saw some chicken feet moving.
"iris! drop it!" I screamed. no box of mine had moving chicken legs sticking out of it!
then I thought.
what if she had found a chicken?
Iris had been known to turn birds into fun carry-around toys. I knew that from previous times where Sparkle ( a black austrolorp hen) had become one.
"iris. drop now." she did not. I decided to let her in. once the door was closed behind her, I would then lure her with food. she would open her mouth to eat the food, and the chicken would fall out into my hands.
boy was I wrong.
I will just move on to a different part of the story.
so after I had a, umm, calamity, I was able to catch her and put her (separated) in the hen coop.
we named her Bethlehen after the city that jesus was born. and we put a chickeny twist on it.

so there you have it, the story of a christmas chicken, and a few bad mistakes of mine.

P.S. I was thinking that I would publish a children's picture book on her. comment down below if you think so!
I love the name, the story, and the idea. I would definitely buy a copy. 👍🏻

Picture of Bethlehen pls!
your wish has been granted!

dsc03730_orig.jpg
DSC02697.JPG

Back
Top Bottom