Beware Lancaster Fancy Fowl

I had a long talk with Michael yesterday afternoon. I don't think that he is out to get anyone. It sounds like they have made a few bad business decisions in the purchase from the old owner. They also have a learning curve, going to a larger scale hatchery than what they had before. I'm not thrilled that my order has been put off a couple weeks again, but I'm going to gice him the benefit of the doubt and one more chance. He said that he would give me a refund if I wanted. I would recommend calling as opposed to email. He has always returned my phone calls.

I got the rundown from Michael too but he said he'd call me back the next day about possible substitutions for my order but never got back to me. I can't reach anyone there by phone or email either. He needs to hire a receptionist who knows how to return calls at the very least.
How does one buy a business & not understand that communication is important?...

I, also, would warn people off from this breeder at this time! We placed an order 4/2/16 for Plymouth Barred Rocks, and Cream Crested Legbars from the "Available Soon" section, ready in 1-3 weeks. As you can see, it has been much more than 3 weeks! These were to be chicks as pets/egg layers for our family. We spent a fortune on supplies for chicks we never received! This doesn't even consider the emotional trauma it has caused my autistic daughter, who is now threatening to commit suicide and will need to be on around the clock monitoring for the next few days!

I have received two phone calls from "Michael" as well, and the second one he was downright grumpy and rude, complaining about how 'all you people' were making life so difficult for him because he has to call us back with excuses for why every single breed seems to be having egg fertilization problems?!? At this point I had to cancel our order and file a claim thru paypal to try to get my money back. My kids are disappointed, to say the least, and the one is suicidal over stupid chicks. We only ordered 5!!! But it doesn't make sense to get them now, since it is so late in the season and we have vacations planned that would be unfeasible to get sitters for tiny chicks, versus pullets. They would also be young for winter next year.

My suggestion is for anyone considering this breeder who supposedly has rarer chickens, to just move on and look for someone more reliable. Until this hatchery gets its act together, they should be pulling down their website!!!!

I also purchased chickens a year ago when John was the owner. I gave him a glowing review for his service, professionalism, and assistance. But this year, I ordered one chicken in January. I was promised that I could pick it up in March. March comes and goes. I call and email. Finally get a hold of someone in April. After a very long phone discussion, they say that I can pick the bird up on May 15. I try to make arrangements to do so, no answer. I've emailed, called, etc. No one is answering. (By the way, they specifically tell you to contact Marissa via email to schedule, but she never answers.)

I agree that this just appears to be two people who are overwhelmed. But over the phone the man told me that the refuse to hire employees - not for any business reason but rather just to keep it to family. They need to get some employees if they are having so much trouble with the administrative side of things. At this point, I consider a refusal to hire help to be very unprofessional and a poorly informed decision. If they insist on making it a 2-man operation, and can make it work, that would be fine. But it clearly is not working.

I agree that he doesn't seem like a bad guy. He just isn't a business man and doesn't appear to have a lot of experience dealing with customer service on this scale. But that's not the customer's fault.

Avoid at all costs. Mt Healthy or Meyer Hatchery actually ship products and guarantee them. They also communicate the arrival and any delays.

Lancaster fancy fowl uses Jesus as a reference yet performs nothing like one who walks the path. They take money sure enough. They still owe me from February 19, 15 marans. They have yet to produce a single bird. After blowing the first ship date and not calling me I had to call them. I got a later date. 3 weeks out. Again no birds no call no email. I call em again this time get an email guaranteeing shipment in response to my call. It was for Wednesday June 2. June 2 is a Wednesday, no matter no birds either day and no call no email. I have emailed and no response. They won't answer the phone. Last I spoke they had trouble because they didn't trim the hennys vents. Basic stuff people you could learn to diffuse a flippin bomb on YouTube why not Google how to be a chicken breeder? What's the frequency Kenneth?! I have been on the phone with MasterCard fraud department and PayPal this morning for an hour. Another gift from the godlike folk at Lancaster Foul.

We have had a similar situation. We ordered back in Jan a small group order and were told the Juvies would be ready around March April time frame. Well that came and went, then we were told April May time frame as he had some chickens die with the winter storm they had. Since then I have been in contact and tried to be very understanding. End of May no chickens, so we decided to ask for a refund. Was told it would take a bit but yes he would refund. Here we are in the middle of June and NOTHING. I've sent emails and no response. I would call but I don't want to hear the excuses any more and don't want to know his life story and what is going on in it. Just send the refund! I talked to Michael! I have over $100 invested in this and I want it back.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I placed an order Jan 19, 2016. I have not received my order or my refund. I'm getting the run around. Was told his accountant would be issuing refund within a week or two.

Michael told me that they may ship this past Wednesday but for sure next Tuesday. I told him I would give him one more chance, if they could ship this week great, otherwise I want a refund. He is now telling me that his speckled sussex hens are not laying and he has a friend with some of his stock hatching for him. I asked him to call me if he will ship them or not and he said he would. I never received a call this week. I just submitted a complaint with PayPal asking for a refund. I'm done with this joker.

Back
Top Bottom