Beware the Black and White EE's ;-) Rehoming Roo's in Oregon

Losobug

Songster
7 Years
Mar 18, 2012
My wonderful little EE is definately a Roo. I posted pics of Manny at about 7 weeks and every single person on here guessed he was a she
lau.gif
I was sooooo excited, but now, Manny is crowing along with his partner in crime, OnRay.
So, watch out if you have the black and white EE's. Manny is just barely getting any brownish saddle feathers under his white now. Late developer, with a much slower comb growth than OnRay.
They are both 8-9 weeks old now. They are both GORGEOUS BOYS. I need to rehome one if not both of the little boys, even though we love them, not enough girls around here
sad.png

Heres my little stinkers
D.gif
I miss the pullets, they were supposed to be and now I am already missing my boys!OnRay on the left Manny on the right!!

Goodbye pretty girls....I mean boys....lol OnRay let us know early (3 weeks, crow) Manny kept us guessing.
ep.gif

comb on both say they are cockerels and the one on the left in the first pic its color also says cockerel...lol one reason its best to wait for them to get at least 8+ weeks of age better comb and color development...do you have any pics of them from being fluffy to now? if so can you find my thread for ee sexing thats only for pics and yours to them as well please?

Last edited:
Yes, I never was fooled by the little guy on the left. He had his crow down good by 4 weeks and totally acted like a little Roo very early, plus he had the pretty red splashes through him. Rotten feed store, bought 2 day old pullets, got two 8 week Roos..lol...
barnie.gif

Oh we just might, but my son loves Manny, the black and white, he is way sweeter. The other little guy is just so.......cocky......lol, both are beautiful though!!
yippiechickie.gif

I remember when you first posted and I didn't want to guess because I always find the black and white EEs confusing! I read something about a pullet never having a white chest (or was it black?). Can't remember! A color "rule" does exist that seems to hold true for b&w EEs but my memory is just firing blanks.

I raised 2 EE chicks this spring. My cockerel had a comb just like OnRay's and my (for sure) pullet had a comb like Manny's at the same ages. So, the only way to know 100% is wait for the egg or the early morning wake-up call!

I just found a good home for my roo, so am very relieved. It's hard when you get attached. I hope you find good homes for yours. The EEs are very handsome, so that should help.

Best wishes!
frow.gif

Thanks, wishing4wings. I hope they find a good home or at least one of them. Stinking Manny had my hopes up, but finally started crowing a couple of days ago...
OnRay, my tuff little boy has this squeaky little crow still and then Manny lets loose with this deep voiced Manly crow like he's been doing it forever...lol
He must have been listening to my SS Roo, that I just rehomed this weekend and was also supposed to be a pullet. I might have to look for chicks
with return policies next year
barnie.gif

Reporting from their humble new re-home: Manny and OnRay were just the Roos I was looking for: beautiful young brothers. They traveled well and settled in tonight very easily, I spent a long time holding them and talking to them and feeding them sweet corn. They like being held, that's for sure! The pullets were looking in the window with great interest and amazement. So far so good. We'll let them see each other for a week or so before any beak-2-beak interactions happen. That worked very well for introducing my pullets to the older flock that lives here; weeks of wire but seeing and hearing each other. The older hens are still alpha, the younger ones are subordinate and follow their own peck order. Free-ranging around the homestead gives each bird plenty of space. Several humans working outdoors a lot, livestock guardian dog on duty. The cockerels are excited to go check it all out, plenty of windows to look out in the coop. Easy boys!
OnRay has crowed a few times, haven't heard Manny .....yet!

I also recently had two E.E.'s who looked very very much like your two. One was a roo...He and two more of my flock (three roos out of seven!) found a wonderful home on a large farm....Thank goodness for happy ending.

Back
Top Bottom