UpstateSCChickens

In the Brooder
May 17, 2020
Easley, SC
Wondering if anyone has crossed Bielefelder with Black Australorp? I have a gorgeous Black Australorp Roo that I have thought about crossing with a Bielefelder hen. Curious to know if anyone has and what the results were. Thanks!

You would get sexlinks.
The cockerels would be barred with red leakage (sexlinks) and the pullets would be black with red leakage.
The difference at hatch would be that the males would have white spots on their heads since they are barred.

You would get sexlinks.
The cockerels would be barred with red leakage (sexlinks) and the pullets would be black with red leakage.
The difference at hatch would be that the males would have white spots on their heads since they are barred.
Are you sure about that? I’m not being a smart add I’m genuinely asking. I think you’d need a bielefelder cock bird in the cross to get sex link because a female wouldn’t carry the double barring gene just a single.

Idk tho. I crossed a bielefelder cock to austro hens and they’re just black and white lol can’t really tell yet . Maybe in 2-4 weeks

Are you sure about that? I’m not being a smart add I’m genuinely asking. I think you’d need a bielefelder cock bird in the cross to get sex link because a female wouldn’t carry the double barring gene just a single.

Idk tho. I crossed a bielefelder cock to austro hens and they’re just black and white lol can’t really tell yet . Maybe in 2-4 weeks
Females get their barring allele from their fathers. Males get one from each parent.
So the cockerel offspring would have one copy of barring and the pullet offspring would have none since the father is unbarred.
If the Bielefelder was the father and the mother was unbarred then both sexes would be single barred, getting a single copy from their father.

Yep... You have to cross a Bielefelder hen to a Solid rooster... I just hatched some, and all the males have white dots on their heads...
The female passes the barred gene to the males

Yep... You have to cross a Bielefelder hen to a Solid rooster... I just hatched some, and all the males have white dots on their heads...
The female passes the barred gene to the males
I disagree. I can show you 23 chicks that all auto sex from a bielefelder rooster and RIR hens.
Females get their barring allele from their fathers. Males get one from each parent.
So the cockerel offspring would have one copy of barring and the pullet offspring would have none since the father is unbarred.
If the Bielefelder was the father and the mother was unbarred then both sexes would be single barred, getting a single copy from their father.
Ahh I see, apparently 1 barring gene is enough to have a pretty reliable autosexing hybrid then! My males are pretty easily distinguishable even with just the 1 copy

I disagree. I can show you 23 chicks that all auto sex from a bielefelder rooster and RIR hens.

Ahh I see, apparently 1 barring gene is enough to have a pretty reliable autosexing hybrid then! My males are pretty easily distinguishable even with just the 1 copy
That would be a miracle... :)
Also, if it were possible, they would be sexlinks and not autosex.

That would be a miracle... :)
Also, if it were possible, they would be sexlinks and not autosex.
Then call me Houdini lol
Oops u are correct, sex link but I can pretty much guarantee they will be auto sexing after I inbreed the half siblings of this generation! 😁
0C4F7309-C0D0-49B8-8C32-CE72638A923C.jpeg
F6CFFAA6-B1C5-4FC6-B718-423BE7E9E512.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom