Big Bad Mareks

So far I've dodged the hubbys flu, he's been down for a week, no clue how I haven't gotten sick, but super thankful I still seem ok!

All the chicks are doing great, still just the one chocolate frizzle with symptoms but she is coping. I'm on the fence every day about putter her down. She's still able to get around to the food and water, so as long as she is alert and up and about my hubby doesn't want to put her down. We will learn more I'm sure about the right time to put a bird down or give it a chance. She's definitely doing better than when we put the other two down.

Everyday I watch them and am worried I'll see another with symptoms. This cold weather is making it hard, as all three symptomatic birds looked cold (had their feathers fluffed more) compared to the other ones, so it's hard to tell if they are actually cold, or sick. But no others are off balance at all. It seems the pattern has been, looking cold for a few days, then slightly off-balance, progressing to leg paralysis or lack of leg control.

I may set the incubator and brooders up in the basement for my next hatch to be sure it's as clean of an environment as possible.

The Wilkies and Star got their ABA legbands on today. Star has thick legs and big feet (oh no, another cockere??? :eek: it's too early to know for sure, but this little one is stout) I almost couldn't get the ABA band on and it's o ly 3 weeks old, they say 4 to 6 weeks if I remember right for getting them on. The Wilkies are young to band but those big 4th and 5th toes are keeping them on, except for Candy Cane, she has small 4th and 5th toes and it keeps falling off, I'll try hers again next week. She also has a single comb. As does Noel the SLW x silkie cross, im assuming she came from Spike's egg as Spike is my onlt single combed SLW.. I didn't band any of the silkie crosses as I'm sure their legs will grow too large for the bantam sized bands.

Hungry Jaq came out to hang for a bit today, I'm not sure on gender yet, this little thing can EAT. It's absolutely ravenous :pop It doesn't look much different than two of the other silkies I hatched and turned out to be pullets with less of a crest, so there is still hope that Jaq is short for Jacqueline and not Jacques 🤣

View attachment 3720869
Thanks for the update! Great that you aren't catching the flu from hubby, sometimes we are able to dodge that bullet. I hope your hubby starts to feel better soon!

I think I'd be on the edge of worry all the time too, wondering what this virus is doing and who's going to turn up sick next. Rough way to live, :hugs but we love our babies. Hopefully the Chocolate baby continues to do well enough, keep her warm as possible, the other symptomatic birds too, warm birds can fight the virus easier.

Aww.... Jaq is positively adorable, :love look at that face!!! ❤ Hard to resist giving HER love. 😂❤ You definitely don't need anymore boys!

Thanks for the update my dear. Stay positive and healthy! 🥰

Thanks for the update! Great that you aren't catching the flu from hubby, sometimes we are able to dodge that bullet. I hope your hubby starts to feel better soon!

I think I'd be on the edge of worry all the time too, wondering what this virus is doing and who's going to turn up sick next. Rough way to live, :hugs but we love our babies. Hopefully the Chocolate baby continues to do well enough, keep her warm as possible, the other symptomatic birds too, warm birds can fight the virus easier.

Aww.... Jaq is positively adorable, :love look at that face!!! ❤ Hard to resist giving HER love. 😂❤ You definitely don't need anymore boys!

Thanks for the update my dear. Stay positive and healthy! 🥰
Thankfully there is just the one symptomatic bird, but that is plenty! I hope this "outbreak" will run its course quickly and everyone else will keep the virus in check.

I sent a few pics of Jaq to the breeder and they are leaning cockerel but said it's still not for sure.

We're about 7 or 8 weeks away from filling up the incubator, I'm really looking forward to this and vaccinating the chicks immediately so I can maybe breathe a little easier about them beating Mareks!

Debbie292d is doing the Odoban egg dip experiment with her hatch she set last night, I'm really excited about that!

Thankfully there is just the one symptomatic bird, but that is plenty! I hope this "outbreak" will run its course quickly and everyone else will keep the virus in check.

I sent a few pics of Jaq to the breeder and they are leaning cockerel but said it's still not for sure.

We're about 7 or 8 weeks away from filling up the incubator, I'm really looking forward to this and vaccinating the chicks immediately so I can maybe breathe a little easier about them beating Mareks!

Debbie292d is doing the Odoban egg dip experiment with her hatch she set last night, I'm really excited about that!
Yes I saw Debbie's experiment thread and see that you joined too! At least you aren't alone in this Mareks journey. :hugs Definitely, once you get new chicks vaccinated, you should start to feel better about all this.

Yes I saw Debbie's experiment thread and see that you joined too! At least you aren't alone in this Mareks journey. :hugs Definitely, once you get new chicks vaccinated, you should start to feel better about all this.
I'm still not sure who is safe to mix with who though. I should have my new shed coop by mid to late February, so all the March hatched chicks will go there but I'll need to have all the silkies I bought and hatched in December out there too.

I'm thinking that by mid summer, any of my July 23 hatched sikkies that are still around and don't have symptoms, will be safe to use for breeding and I can mix them in with the ones I have in the house now. Assumptions though...

I'm still not sure who is safe to mix with who though. I should have my new shed coop by mid to late February, so all the March hatched chicks will go there but I'll need to have all the silkies I bought and hatched in December out there too.

I'm thinking that by mid summer, any of my July 23 hatched sikkies that are still around and don't have symptoms, will be safe to use for breeding and I can mix them in with the ones I have in the house now. Assumptions though...
I really don't know enough to advise you on mixing your birds however your plans do seem sound to me. 😊

I really don't know enough to advise you on mixing your birds however your plans do seem sound to me. 😊
If it's not a good idea to put them together, then I either need to learn to do AI (not likely) or, the birds will be getting baths and quick conjugal visits two times per week 🤣 I'll have the cleanest breeding flock around!

If it's not a good idea to put them together, then I either need to learn to do AI (not likely) or, the birds will be getting baths and quick conjugal visits two times per week 🤣 I'll have the cleanest breeding flock around!
You will learn over time what you can get away with and what has no effect. Eventually you WILL be an expert with the Mareks and how to deal with it. 😊

No, never alone, Tink. ❤️ I can't imagine how hard this is to lose or have to cull our pets. How frustrating too they don't come up with something to treat the birds or help flocks like yours to thrive instead of suffer. Perhaps in our time, they will. I'm glad you're able to work around it and keep going! You're inspirational! :hugs

You will learn over time what you can get away with and what has no effect. Eventually you WILL be an expert with the Mareks and how to deal with it. 😊
Yes, I am confident that y'all will help me find the best path forward with the best solutions to keep my little floofs happy and healthy 💗 the hardest part for me is that I'm experimenting with living things, so, better with the safest routes possible to success. I don't think I could even experiment on flies, accidently kill some, and not cry... yet I am quite happy when my chickens eat flies when they are everywhere in the summer. 🤣

No, never alone, Tink. ❤️ I can't imagine how hard this is to lose or have to cull our pets. How frustrating too they don't come up with something to treat the birds or help flocks like yours to thrive instead of suffer. Perhaps in our time, they will. I'm glad you're able to work around it and keep going! You're inspirational! :hugs
😭 thank you so much, you are right, you and TwoCrows and the other amazing people on here have been such great support. I hate loosing any of my birds, it's heartbreaking. Even if they could come up with a solid vaccine that isn't leaky would be a big step! I haven't come across anything about that being developed yet. They do have some different vaccines out there but it seems only the one HVT type is available for backyard breeder use. I found one of the hatcheries that stated which vaccine they used and they only did thr HVT as well.

Thank you ladies for joining on this wild ride and for all you are doing and sharing, and especially the support 💕

Back
Top Bottom