Big Blue Roo Taken Down a Notch (funny story)

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
As many of you know I have three separate flocks, the Ameraucanas, the Blue Orps and the main flock consisting of my Barred Rock roo and various layers of different ages and breeds, the core laying flock all almost two years old. Today, I penned the main flock back after most of the day freeranging so the Orps could roam awhile.
To give a little background, my cantankerous flock leader RIR, Ruby, is a pain. She refuses to be tempted by the scratch can shaking, she makes me chase her around and around shrubs just out of reach; she's quite a tough broad, that Ruby. You pick her up and she pedals her feet, hunches her neck into her shoulders, sticks out her chest and growls like a pitbull. Anyway, I decided I was NOT going to chase her all over the place before I let Suede and his ladies out so they were roaming and Ruby decided to go down toward them and eat what they were eating on the ground. I said, "Oh, RUBY! I wouldn't do that. Suede's gonna nail you, girl!" Of course, she really gets what I'm saying, right? Ruby doesn't break stride heading down the hill. I just know Suede is going to grab her-the boy is quite the stud. Well, at least, in his own mind. He rushes up to the approaching Ruby, drags his wing, half-dances and starts to grab at her. He didn't expect what he got. Ruby's hackles flared out and she jumped in the air, feet pointed at his face and was ready to do battle! If you could have seen the surprised look on Suede's face. She jumped at him twice and I swear, that huge turkey-sized rooster tucked his tailfeathers and took off running in the opposite direction, LOL! My DH and I were laughing so hard, tears were starting to flow.
lau.gif

My mom worked at a private club that had a trail way out back that clients would walk/run, and in a very large fenced area that ran along side the path for a long way there was a RIR Roo. He used to enjoy running along side the runners on the path!!! It was histerical! He'd even run back to the beginning and wait for the next runner!

RIR's are cool, I would love to have one. It's been years and years since I've been near one, how big do they get??? How are they around children???

Yep, my Ruby is one tough broad. A real no-nonsense kind of gal, unless the nonsense is HERS. newchick, it varies on temperament with the RIRs. Ruby is a grump, but I have one that wants to be carried around like a ragdoll or sit on your shoulder. I don't have a rooster, but rooster-red has a beautiful RIR boy who is even-tempered. I would hesitate to allow a small child around a rooster, in general, due to the unpredictability, but that isn't a breed thing. The RIR size varies. My hatchery ones aren't that large, but I had one from a breeder who was a TALL girl. rooster-red now owns her.

Back
Top Bottom