Mine might be a little hard to see... So on the coop side, the coop is the main support for the netting overhead. U-posts support tension wire to form a surround for the netting to rest on so we have room to walk around inside the run.

On other side of the run (I have a split run with a gate, 4' high chain link on coop side and 6' chain link on the other half) I have two extension pieces that stick up about 1' to support the netting overhead, so my 6'+ hubby has room to stand upright.

coopnew1.jpg

coop1.jpg

I’d like to cover my entire yard and have been watching some videos. I’ll attach one here:
Yakkers make me Yawn. :gig
But I did watch the whole thing.
His Best Tip......Cut down the dead trees first!

The loop thing was cool, but he didn't show where/how he used it.<scratcheshead>
I also wonder if tying the netting to hot mesh had any detrimental affects.

Wonders how it held up, looks like the snow didn't totally wreck it:
upload_2019-11-13_17-50-59.png

Mine might be a little hard to see... So on the coop side, the coop is the main support for the netting overhead. U-posts support tension wire to form a surround for the netting to rest on so we have room to walk around inside the run.

On other side of the run (I have a split run with a gate, 4' high chain link on coop side and 6' chain link on the other half) I have two extension pieces that stick up about 1' to support the netting overhead, so my 6'+ hubby has room to stand upright.

View attachment 1958390

View attachment 1958392
That’s so helpful thanks! I want to do something like what you have—attaches to yard fence... and then I want to also extend it to my house and garage— it’s a tiny yard!! Thanks so much!!

Wonders how it held up, looks like the snow didn't totally wreck it:
View attachment 1958421

Oof, that's quite a bit of bending on the upright supports, but at least the netting looks intact there. Since our upright and cross supports are further supported by our chain link fencing and of course the coop itself there wasn't any bending under snow last year, but of course it did sag quite a bit. We cleared off snow twice a day.

Oof, that's quite a bit of bending on the upright supports, but at least the netting looks intact there. Since our upright and cross supports are further supported by our chain link fencing and of course the coop itself there wasn't any bending under snow last year, but of course it did sag quite a bit. We cleared off snow twice a day.
Yeah, his pole installation was bit lacking.
I was surprised how easily the snow was knocked off netting.
Thought I linked the vid to start playing at 5:00....but that's where the netting part starts.

We have bird netting over our run. The run is six foot high chain link fencing, 62 ft x 20 ft. I tied nylon paracord with tension knots across the top about every 7 feet for supports and attached the bird netting over the top with zip ties. So far not much sagging. I have swept some leaves and sticks off the top this fall, but we have more pasture than trees, so it hasn't been too bad. I have yet to see how we do through the winter. Though it gets cold, we haven't gotten more than an inch or two of snow each winter in the six years we've been here. If we get a big storm, which is rare but could happen, I may have to make repairs. I bought my netting online at Amazon. It is kind of flimsy and hard to work with. I was trying to save money, or I'd have bought more expensive netting with wider spacing.

Huh?....Got pics?

I can take some when I go outside in a little while. I was looking for some pictures when I made the post, but the netting kind of disappears in all the pictures I currently have. I tied a bowline knot on one end of the fence and a trucker's hitch knot on the other side of the fence so I could pull the cord really tight for a support.

Back
Top Bottom