Bite wound leaking green

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
My light brahma is healing extremely well for what's happened, but the one side has a small crack that's leaking a thin green liquid. I do know that green means infection, but she's in 500mg penicillin daily and taking it very well. I've tried antibiotic ointment, but that doesn't stay on long and the blue-kote is working much better.

This is the side that's leaking.

Here's the original photo

I'm washing it daily, then spraying blue-kote. About every 2-3 days she gets a full bath.

The leaking is a good sign right? Her whole side is skinned and the skin grew back all bunched up together, which is not shown in the photo. All the redness and swelling is down.

I've been extremely stressed over this whole ordeal. I can't separate her without stressing her to max, I tried.

The leaking is good right? It means that the infection exiting the wound? Both her sides were skinned from a coyote, but the left side is much worse then the right side. In the next day or two, both wounds will be covered by her own feather growth where the coyote plucked all her feathers off.

Since the incident, I have not let them free range. I lost 3 others and the remains are in our backyard in the woods. We are trying to hunt the coyotes without any luck.

This drainage may mean that she is resistant to the penicillin and may need a different antibiotic. It is a good sign that it is draining though. You may need to irrigate the wound a bit with some sterile saline or betadine and water. There are a lot of penicillin-resistant bacteria nowadays, and you might want to call your vet for advice on which one to try. Cephalosporins (like Keflex) are usually good, but your vet may have a good suggestion. A lot of people love Baytril here on BYC, but it isn't supposed to be used on chickens.

I actually have her on Kelflex or something like it m. I do have amoxicillin, which I will switch her to, she's been on antibiotics for about 2 weeks now. I do wash that side of the wound daily. The other side is not leaking or infected, so it gets washed when she's bathed. I won't use the injection antibiotics, I'm afraid if I did that I'd hurt her.

She was attacked about 2 weeks ago. I may never let them free range until we fence our property. I'm starting a mealworm farm, so they still can enjoy bugs. Hubby is not happy about raising worms in the house.

I tried the antibiotic ointment, but that did not work at all. The blue kote works much better. Spraying blue kote over the ointment just leaves a huge mess. There are no abscesses and nothing is hot to the touch. I don't want fly larvae in there either. My poor hen is now running away from me every time I walk in the coop. I'm sure she wants to be left alone.

Back
Top Bottom