Black Australorp hen height?

CityChicky

In the Brooder
Feb 15, 2021
Could someone please tell me how tall these Black Australorp ladies grow? Drawing out coop, run, and playpen tractor. Other breed coming is New Hampshire Red but I keep seeing the Australorps are huge, can get obese and can't hop up on roosts very well. For a PVC playpen to "free range" yard how high should I make it? Want to move it daily and give them time away from run/coop. Was thinking a waterer, and a laying box like a milk crate attached. Any suggestions?

Could someone please tell me how tall these Black Australorp ladies grow? Drawing out coop, run, and playpen tractor. Other breed coming is New Hampshire Red but I keep seeing the Australorps are huge, can get obese and can't hop up on roosts very well. For a PVC playpen to "free range" yard how high should I make it? Want to move it daily and give them time away from run/coop. Was thinking a waterer, and a laying box like a milk crate attached. Any suggestions?
BAs don't get huge. Black Jersey Giants can. And they don't get obese unless they don't have enough opportunity to exercise and are overfed. Like any other bird.
My BA does prefer to take the on and off ramp to the poop boards. But she can fly up 4.5' if she wants to.
She could fit in a milk crate for a nest box but I don't think it would be overly comfortable.

My black australorp is right in the middle just about the same size as my favucanas and austra white.. my black jersey giant (3 months old) is to the left of the australorp (9months old)
20210109_120001.jpg
20210109_120012.jpg

Back
Top Bottom