Hatched this little cutie last weekend.
20240425_221151.jpg

20240425_221143.jpg

20240425_221130.jpg

It's a combination of my paint silkie hen Dottie
Screenshot_20240425_222411_Photos.jpg

And my black bantam cochin rooster Shaggy
Screenshot_20240425_222454_Photos.jpg

It's looking paint/splash to me. Will all their babies be paint/splash? Is there a difference in paint and splash aside from breed? And what is the silkie/ Bc combo called? I've heard/read several conflicting things. And is there a "standard" for it?

The chick is paint. Paint genetically is a solid black bird with a single copy of the dominant white gene, I. Dominant white, when homozygous (that is, when the bird is pure for the gene, I/I), generally covers all black parts of the bird, but when heterozygous (carrying only one copy of the gene, in this case I/i+) it tends to let a little bit of black pigment leak through, giving the paint color its characteristic 'paint flecks'. When you cross paint to solid black, the resulting offspring have a 50-50 shot of inheriting dominant white from the paint parent, so approximately half of the chicks will be paint and the other half will just be black.

As for what it's called, they're just a mix. Satins I believe started off as a Silkie x Cochin mix, but have sort of become their own thing through the hard work of breeders working on them, a true-breeding smooth-feathered version of a Silkie, so I'm not honestly sure if it would be appropriate to call a first-generation cross like yours a Satin anymore.

The chick is paint. Paint genetically is a solid black bird with a single copy of the dominant white gene, I. Dominant white, when homozygous (that is, when the bird is pure for the gene, I/I), generally covers all black parts of the bird, but when heterozygous (carrying only one copy of the gene, in this case I/i+) it tends to let a little bit of black pigment leak through, giving the paint color its characteristic 'paint flecks'. When you cross paint to solid black, the resulting offspring have a 50-50 shot of inheriting dominant white from the paint parent, so approximately half of the chicks will be paint and the other half will just be black.

As for what it's called, they're just a mix. Satins I believe started off as a Silkie x Cochin mix, but have sort of become their own thing through the hard work of breeders working on them, a true-breeding smooth-feathered version of a Silkie, so I'm not honestly sure if it would be appropriate to call a first-generation cross like yours a Satin anymore.
That's awesome! Thanks for the info!
This is the only chick I have from these 2 because the Silkie is perpetually broody! I'm glad this one is a paint! Hoping for pullet! 🤞

Back
Top Bottom