Black marks on comb

Shaste

In the Brooder
Oct 10, 2023
One of our hens recently developed black marks on both sides of the back of her comb. She doesn't love being handled so I haven't picked her up for a close look .. wondering if these are just peck marks how long they would take to heal? Or should grab her to check it out?

Attachments

• 20240426_124748.jpg
    20240426_124748.jpg
    756.5 KB · Views: 23
One of our hens recently developed black marks on both sides of the back of her comb. She doesn't love being handled so I haven't picked her up for a close look .. wondering if these are just peck marks how long they would take to heal? Or should grab her to check it out?
Yeah, our chickens get those a lot, even frost marks in the winter look like that, and also roosters get them when they fight because of the blood.

Thanks all! I was hoping just peck marks so good to get confirmation from y'all with more experience. We don't have a rooster so must be from her sisters.

Could be dry pox too...are the mosquitoes out where you live?
There are plenty of mosquitoes but it seems to have healed for the most part already. I will look up dry pox though as something to be on the lookout for. Thanks!

There are plenty of mosquitoes but it seems to have healed for the most part already. I will look up dry pox though as something to be on the lookout for. Thanks!
It's a virus, best not to touch it as that can spread it, will pass within a few weeks....and IIRC they are then immune.

Back
Top Bottom