Sep 12, 2018
Something got a hold of my Rooster 4 days ago. its left 3 deep puncture wounds and tore off a huge chunk of hide. I separated him immediately and cleaned the wound, but I had him in a crate out on the porch. The next night when I got home from work I went to clean it again that's when I noticed maggots were in the wound and it was oozy, after just one night! I freaked out and flushed it with peroxide and then with warm salt water in till all the maggots were out and I dried him with a hair drier and moved him indoors. the wound has been black since day 2 (probably day one it was just so dark it was hard to tell when it happened) I clean the wound with warm salt water peroxide and iodine and dry him off so he doesn't get cold, 1-2 times a day . (he's being a great sport about this and not fighting me at all.) its day 4 and one wound looks better two are still pretty black but no bugs and no ooz. im cleaning him the same as ive cleaned all my othe pets when theve been hurt or had an infection, ive looked around on the internet a lot and the black seems to happen a lot? but I just get this feeling that it is fact not normal and ive read several article and they just say clean it every day don't let infection set in and keep him separated and I have. I don't know though, I just don't want anything to happen to him. So basically any advice will help.

and this isn't important info but he's an almost a year old Cornish rock roster named chunk-a-Dunk [chunk for short] so he's pretty big but it seems he can reech all his wounds.

(Sorry about my spelling and punctuation I know it's awful)

Last edited:
I wouldn't do the salt water or peroxide anymore it can slow healing actually, I think by being too drying. Salt in wounds is painful.

Are you able to post a pic? Is he eating and drinking?

Sometimes the scab of a wound can look black. I'm not sure what necrotic tissue looks like though.

I'm not sure if a triple antibiotic ointment would be better than iodine or not. I personally don't treat standard wound... but with fly strike it definitely requires more attention that what I have needed to do in the past.

What I actually do, I will go ahead and recommend... keep nutrition high... use a balanced feed and minimize low nutrient treats like corn or scratch. I like to offer some probiotic support in the form of some yogurt or fermented feed. And a little scrambled or boiled egg as they are loaded with nutrients which will support the birds own immune system to help fight infection off and quickly recover. Eggs are 34% protein which is great, but also 64% fat by energy... so nothing overboard.

A few people who might have more to offer than me or know someone else who does... @Eggcessive @rebrascora @Wyorp Rock

:fl

ill se if I can post a pic after I get off work tonight I started to do the salt water flush because when I had a cat that had had wolves after we removed the wormes we flushed it with warm salt water to dry out the infection and the infected skin so it would gently pull off to fresh healthy skin and neither the cat or the chicken acted like it it hurt and the chicken will kinda like nip at me I guess when I do something he doesn't like and the cat seemed to actual enjoy it which always seemed weird to me and my mom. But id deffinatly stop doing it if it would keep him alive. at the moment hes eating drinking and pooping just like normal. I saw a few things that suggested apple cider vinegar in his water and oregano/ garlic mixed in his food so ive put a little in his food and water and he's still eating and drinking. but yeah that's just something I saw and ill try to post a pic of him when I get a chance.

Welcome to BYC, and sorry anout your rooster. Saline is fine to use but mix a teaspoonful into a quart of water. That is the same salt content of out bodies. You can sterilize it by bringing it to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover on low for 15 minutes. I would probably make 2 quarts or liters, but use the same 1 tsp salt to a quart of water, or it will be too strong.

Many find that Vetericyn wound spray from a feed store is good to use, then coat with plain Neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment twice a day. The ointment keeps it from drying out and keeps flies out. Pictures are helpful. Offer aome chopped egg, tuna, or liver plus the usual chicken feed. It can be made wet to encourage eating. Good luck.

its not as yellow as it looks, bad lighting and slight skin stain from the iodine it comes off with the warm water/peroxide. my main concern is the blackness. the 3rd and 4th pics are the same wound. his feathers are torn up pretty bad to where he has flapped and tried to get away from what ever it was and some are broke but the wing its self is fine he's up walking around like its no big deal and these wounds are on his leg and butt area. he was walking around the basement while I took the pictures I was having to walk with him and take them cuz he wouldn't hold still. I think I'm most concerned about the first 2 but I don't feel good about any of them.

Attachments

• chunk 1.jpg
    chunk 1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 62
  • chunk 2.jpg
    chunk 2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 65
  • chunk 3.jpg
    chunk 3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 63
  • chunk 4.jpg
    chunk 4.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 58
  • chunk 5.jpg
    chunk 5.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I had a dog bite my chicken in neck tearing skin and leaving a gapping wound size of a quarter. I washed with water and Dawn dish soap once a day and applied Neosporin couple times a day and that sucker healed beautifully within a couple weeks scabs and all. Dead skin fell of as I cleaned and no infection.

can anyone tell me how serious the pics above are I know there bad but like "just keep taking care of him and he'll be ok" bad or "prepare my self for being with out him" bad.

I haven’t dealt with serious wounds yet myself, but based on other photos I’ve seen and stories I’ve watched on BYC, I think he is healing nicely and he will eventually fully recover as long as you keep it clean. I would use antibiotic ointment, too, and provide supportive care as has already been suggested. Good luck! I love, love, love chunk-a-dunk’s name!

Back
Top Bottom