Black Orpington Speckled Sussex Cross

inquisitivebird

Songster
8 Years
Oct 16, 2014
I have hatched out 10 chicks from a Black Orpington rooster and a Speckled Sussex hen. I have a project I'd like to do with them. I expected to get all black chicks, but I have hatched 8 black chicks and two chipmunk chicks. See photo below:

IMG20221118220608.jpg

Can anyone explain this to me? Isn't black dominant and shouldn't it cover anything in the Sussex gene pool? The chicken calculator says they will all be black.

I have hatched out 10 chicks from a Black Orpington rooster and a Speckled Sussex hen. I have a project I'd like to do with them. I expected to get all black chicks, but I have hatched 8 black chicks and two chipmunk chicks. See photo below:

View attachment 3326160

Can anyone explain this to me? Isn't black dominant and shouldn't it cover anything in the Sussex gene pool? The chicken calculator says they will all be black.
Hi there. What do your chicks look like now? I'm very curious. My next hatch I'm hoping to include eggs from my red orp roo x SS hen (she was molting last hatch so I didn't get any from her). Curious what they'll turn out like. I must admit none of my other mixed chicks look like what I expected or what the calculator said.

Hi there. What do your chicks look like now? I'm very curious. My next hatch I'm hoping to include eggs from my red orp roo x SS hen (she was molting last hatch so I didn't get any from her). Curious what they'll turn out like. I must admit none of my other mixed chicks look like what I expected or what the calculator said.
Sure, mine all turned out black, some had break through mottling with a few white tipped feathers:

IMG20221215164310.jpg

and about 1 out of 4 turned out like this:

IMG20230112160547.jpg

But most were just black, ignore the blue rooster:
IMG20230106084235.jpg

No, the speckled Sussex had a straight comb. Shes unfortunately no longer alive. I don't have a photo of her. Why do you ask that?
Thank you. Just wondering about the combs on the chicks since the parents were Sussex and Orpington. I have what I thought was a Speckled Sussex hen who has a comb like your chicks, but now I suspect she is a mixed breed.

Back
Top Bottom