Black Penedesenca Hatching Eggs

Will these be your first Penedesencas?

Yes they are! We have had large comb birds here in mid Michigan that survive very low temps with VERY little evidence of frost bite. I have also raised White Leghorns so if Pennys are as skitterish I am used to that as well . We raise and are saving the Iowa Blues where SP has had some of the original stock and that is why I ordered from SP. The Black Pennys caught my eye when I read dark eggs. The Marans we have had here came from local breeders and they dont do too well...they seem fragile although very friendly. So... I would welcome advice and direction as we may decide to keep these. We are an egg farm primarily and people love multicolored eggs around here

Not the clearest pictures, but here is the group. There are four in this brooder. Probably not the best thread to post baby pics in, but I didn't find a dedicated breed thread for the Black Penedesencas. The other two are Iowas.
IMG_20190729_204017501.jpg IMG_20190729_204017501.jpg IMG_20190729_204025436.jpg IMG_20190729_204035294.jpg IMG_20190729_204214593.jpg IMG_20190729_204234685.jpg IMG_20190729_204242405.jpg

I don't care about egg production and don't care to eat my pets. What are the best breeds for interacting with when not caring about meat or eggs only entertainment value?

I don't care about egg production and don't care to eat my pets. What are the best breeds for interacting with when not caring about meat or eggs only entertainment value?
You are coming at poultry from a different point of view than I but I have friends like you.
From their experiences I might recommend silkies and seramas. You might look to see if you can locate any Kiri Kiri. Those are small breeds but there are large fowl that that are calm and friendly.
You should find several breeds that fit those traits in the following breed charts.
http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf
http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html
Calm and friendly lap pets just don't fit my personality, goals and lifestyle.

Ok, here are three of the Pene's I raised from chicks, a cockerel and two of the three hens (they aren't laying yet). They are now about 4 months old.
There is a RR and in the photo bomber in the lower right corner is our Houdan/Isbar mix pullet. Are they supposed to have the beetle green sheen to their feathers? I think the white lobe is getting more pronounced as the boy gets older :).

pene's.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom