Black silkies

I have 5 M Best Silkies. One Blue cockerel and Black(not split), Buff, Porcelain and White pullets. I am going to have a BBS pen and may in the future have a Blue/Splash pen and Black pen. We are also gonna have a Buff/Porcelain pen too. M Best lives 3.5 miles from me. Real hard not to go get more anytime.

Wanted to know if anyone can help me with some genetic questions?
I want to create the color cuckoo, and I want to know how to get there. PLEASE!
Just thought I would add some pictures for fun.
Happy hatching everyone!

I have 5 M Best Silkies. One Blue cockerel and Black(not split), Buff, Porcelain and White pullets. I am going to have a BBS pen and may in the future have a Blue/Splash pen and Black pen. We are also gonna have a Buff/Porcelain pen too. M Best lives 3.5 miles from me. Real hard not to go get more anytime.
You are lucky to have a breeder nearby! Sounds like you have a plan! I have had to ship most of mine but it has been fun
yippiechickie.gif

Wanted to know if anyone can help me with some genetic questions?
I want to create the color cuckoo, and I want to know how to get there. PLEASE!
Just thought I would add some pictures for fun.
Happy hatching everyone!

Nice pictures.... I love chicks
love.gif
I think to start from scratch on Cuckoo Silkies you have to mix them with something with that color pattern. There are some breeders out there selling breeder stock though if you want to take advantage of their work! I dont know much about that color.

Splits carry a recessive gene for another color. When bred together, pure blacks should produce 100% blacks. If you breed 2 split to lavender-blacks together, you will get 25% pure blacks, 50% split-blacks, and another 25% lavenders. The pure blacks and split-blacks you get out of those crosses will both be phenotypically ( 'look like') blacks so you can't tell them apart. Take those split blacks onto a pure lavender and you will get a higher percentage of lavenders though.

Some think that you can't tell the splits and pures apart. Personally I've never seen a split with the feather quality and depth of coloring as a true black.

Back
Top Bottom