Black yolk sac?****pics added***

Wegs813

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2010
SE Minnesota
I am on day 23. I had 10 eggs go in to lockdown out of 13. As of right now, only 2 have hatched. One of the hatched ones came out very wet and sticky...my husband said that it was starting to dry off and was getting stuck to the wire floor in the incubator. My husband pulled it out, washed it off, dried it a little and stuck it back in the incubator. There were 2 other ones in there that had pipped and there had been no movement for quite some time, so my husband pulled them out. He said that one of them had a black yolk sac...is that normal? I have not been home to look at it yet, but will post when I have been home and had a chance to look at them.

Last edited:
I'm curious too. Never heard of that. Pics please?
pop.gif

Here are the pictures....both of them had pipped the shell, and put a decent size hole in it, but neither started to zip
The top picture looks like he was not ready to come out yet. But the bottom picture looks like he was fully developed.
Maybe the black colored sac is normal...I really don't know.
Also wanted to add, I pulled 4 eggs from the incubator tonight that had done nothing...cracked them open, and they were early quitters. Really not sure what I was looking at when I candled them before lockdown.

56528_blk_yolk.jpeg

56528_pipped.jpg

Last edited:
Wow... that's crazy. Definitely not normal. I could only take guesses at it... possibly innards are out, or whatever it is didn't get fully absorbed into the chick on time. If you ever find out what it is/was... let us know.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom