Blackstrap Molasses in FF

pinkmartin73

Chirping
Jan 29, 2015
Pickaway County, Ohio
Apologies for asking. I know I read about this here but now I can't seem to find the info.

I have experimented a bit with fermenting. Currently, we have 8 standard pullets, 1 bantam pullet, and 4 bantam cockerels. All are a couple days shy of 15 wks old.

They love FF, which I've made with just flock raiser and water. I am about to start fermenting in a larger amount to make it more sustainable and less of a hassle. (5 gal bucket instead of 1 gal. Container.)

Anyway, I read somewhere that adding a bit of molasses to the water when mixing would add nutrition and jumpstart the fermentation. Is that correct? How much can I add without causing a laxative effect? Should I skip it?

Also, we are trying to rehome 3 of our cockerels. Right now, everyone eats together. Once the pullets start laying how do i keep my boys from eating layer feed and getting too much calcium?

Any wisdom you all can pass along is much appreciated:)

Apologies for asking. I know I read about this here but now I can't seem to find the info.

I have experimented a bit with fermenting. Currently, we have 8 standard pullets, 1 bantam pullet, and 4 bantam cockerels. All are a couple days shy of 15 wks old.

They love FF, which I've made with just flock raiser and water. I am about to start fermenting in a larger amount to make it more sustainable and less of a hassle. (5 gal bucket instead of 1 gal. Container.)

Anyway, I read somewhere that adding a bit of molasses to the water when mixing would add nutrition and jumpstart the fermentation. Is that correct? How much can I add without causing a laxative effect? Should I skip it?

Also, we are trying to rehome 3 of our cockerels. Right now, everyone eats together. Once the pullets start laying how do i keep my boys from eating layer feed and getting too much calcium?

Any wisdom you all can pass along is much appreciated:)

Molasses, water, and yeast that is first fermented and then distilled makes Rum. Rum is also an Alcoholic beverage called grog after it's mixed with water. You'll have some real "happy" hens and roosters if you give them a daily glass or two of grog to wash their Purina Laying pellets down. So instead of singing an egg song your chickens may be singing "....how dry I am...."
pop.gif
lol.png

Last edited:
Molasses, water, and yeast that is first fermented and then distilled makes Rum.  Rum is also an Alcoholic beverage called grog after it's mixed with water.  You'll have some real "happy" hens and roosters if you give them a daily glass or two of grog to wash their Purina Laying pellets down.  So instead of singing an egg song your chickens may be singing "....how dry I am...." :pop :lol:

Well that's handy to know. Maybe I'll just tuck that recipe away for myself! Sounds like I better stick with just water and feed. Thanks!
Still not sure how to keep my boys out of the high calcium layer feed once the girls start laying. Any thoughts?

I have fermented feed with blacktrap molasses. Once it turned mildly alcoholic, but usually it soured just fine without the excessive alcohol. Alcohol *will* be produced in this type of fermentation, but most of it will be consumed by various bacteria in the fermenting feed. I still fed the mildly alcoholic feed to our chickens, but not as their sole ration. I fed them perhaps 1/3 of their daily feed as the fermented feed and the rest was dry feed.

If you want to try adding some molasses, try about 2-3 cups per 5 gallon bucket.

The way most folks do to keep the boys out of the high calcium layer feed is to not feed layer feed. Instead feed starter/grower/all-flock feed (any feed without extra calcium) and have crushed oyster shell supplement on the side. The hens will eat the oyster shell for calcium as they need it and the roos will mostly leave it alone. Or you can separate your roos from the rest of the flock, but keep them out of sight and sound of the hens or they will likely fight.

I have fermented feed with blacktrap molasses. Once it turned mildly alcoholic, but usually it soured just fine without the excessive alcohol. Alcohol *will* be produced in this type of fermentation, but most of it will be consumed by various bacteria in the fermenting feed. I still fed the mildly alcoholic feed to our chickens, but not as their sole ration. I fed them perhaps 1/3 of their daily feed as the fermented feed and the rest was dry feed.

If you want to try adding some molasses, try about 2-3 cups per 5 gallon bucket.

The way most folks do to keep the boys out of the high calcium layer feed is to not feed layer feed. Instead feed starter/grower/all-flock feed (any feed without extra calcium) and have crushed oyster shell supplement on the side. The hens will eat the oyster shell for calcium as they need it and the roos will mostly leave it alone. Or you can separate your roos from the rest of the flock, but keep them out of sight and sound of the hens or they will likely fight.

That makes sense. I will decide tomorrow exactly what I will add to the bucket. I'm still reading all i can find.

Thanks for the advice on the boys. I guess I thought layer feed was a "requirement". Lol duh! Of course calcium can be offered on the side!

Back
Top Bottom