Blind baby chick

Pics

Noelspiker

In the Brooder
May 28, 2023
I just got a baby chick from my granny who is 5 days old today. Around 2 days ago the other chicks pecked its eyes out. My granny isn't sure if it ever had eyes because she said it's acted weird since hatching. The eyes are scarred over now. I set it up in a tub and am trying to get the temp to 95 degrees. I put some water in there with a sprinkle of sugar and have tried feeding it a mush of baby chick food and water. I'm unsure on how much and often it should be fed. My granny said it hasn't been eating and drinking well since it hatched. Any advice you have is really appreciated. I plan on calling a vet for more information Tuesday if it makes it pulls through.

I just went to my grandma's and saw the quails and chickens that Blink hatched with and he was closer in size to the quails than the chickens. I assume he was just underdeveloped. I also found out my granny had to help him hatch out so really I think he didn't have much of a chance at all . Despite all that I am still glad I took him and made the end of his life a little better than what it would've been. This also makes me feel better cause I know now that there was truly nothing I could've done for him.

Yes by the end of blinks life his eyes and sight were not my biggest concerns. I wouldve been willing to care for him his whole life if i needed. All of this has still been very educational and I will know better how to handle and care for chickens in the future.
I greatly admire your determination to do all you could to try to help little Blink survive and live a good life. You have a very special heart and will be a great asset to future birds under your care. I wish you much joy as you handle and care for your future chickens.

Yes I am willing to care for it as much as I need. My grandma has a pen made for injured chickens that it can live in when it grows up. It's not super large and everything stays the same in there. There's also normally at least one other chicken in there so they wouldn't be alone
Good for you. Chickens are so much more cognizant of the world around them than what people think. They certainly do have tunnel vision in life in terms of their needs, but they really are emotionally connected to their surroundings and companions (which includes you 😉)

You will have a very grateful friend for this.

I'm unsure on how much and often it should be fed.

Since no-one answered this yet:
You can feel the chick's crop to get an idea of how full it is (at the base of the neck, a little to one side of center front). Feel some of the healthy chicks for comparison. You will probably notice that their crops range from almost empty to completely stuffed and hard. Aim for something in between, because you want it to have food in the crop to digest, but you don't want to force it to be overstuffed.

How often to feed would depend on how soon the crop is empty again. Chickens usually prefer to nibble frequently during the day, so they are never really empty or completely full, but they naturally stuff themselves before bed and then go all night before eating breakfast. Feeding it in several meals, rather than nibbles all day long, can also be fine.

I would try to put the ointment into his eyes. They may have some infection or he could have an upper respiratory tract infection causing all of the mucus and eye or nasal drainage. You could try wiping off any secretions from his face or nostrils with a wet Kleenex. The tetroxy may help a respiratory infection. Tylan is a little better, and can be given into his beak. You could make some little feed balls, small enough to place in his beak. Or try to get him to peck some crumble off the floor. The mucus issue does not sound good. Let us know how he is doing. You are very mature and should be proud of yourself.

So this morning I went to check on him and he was alive but weaker than normal. I got him out and he wouldn't drink water on his own from the spoon like normal so I had to use an eye dropper. I also got some food into him. I set him on the ground and after a minute he spit up some water stuff without me messing with his crop. He's not peeping or walking to me like normal. Is there anything else I can try for him?

Back
Top Bottom