Blood around ducks nostrils, please help

Snostorm

Chirping
Aug 19, 2021
Hi, I've attached some pictures, came out to see the ducks this afternoon and one of our ladies has blood around her nostrils, I had gone out as I'd seen a rat inside the enclosure so not sure if that could have been anything to do with it

Checking the cameras today she's been sleeping a little bit more than normal but not much, I'm sat out with them now and she's her usual sassy self, but a little less ok about being touched.

She's a mini appleyard, 1.5years old, in with another female and a male

Any advice on causes and treatment is much appreciated
PXL_20230315_162930401.jpg
PXL_20230315_162414457.jpg
PXL_20230315_162437899.jpg

Was originally going to post asking about chilli powder on the duck food, I'd heard about ducks not noticing it but mammals like rats hating it. Anyone had any good results with stopping rats using it on the food and the ducks have no ill effects?

Looks like she's injured it somehow. See the skinned places?
Maybe from sticking her bill through wire or on something sharp, a feed pan or something.

Likely applying something like ointment won't do much or stay or since they are always in water, so keep water clean.

Pepper may deter rats, but putting up feed, cleaning up spills and trapping the rats are all methods that should be used together to get rid of them. Where's there's food, rats will eventually come.

1678900651414.jpeg

1678900739880.jpeg

Looks like she's injured it somehow. See the skinned places?
Maybe from sticking her bill through wire or on something sharp, a feed pan or something.

Likely applying something like ointment won't do much or stay or since they are always in water, so keep water clean.

Pepper may deter rats, but putting up feed, cleaning up spills and trapping the rats are all methods that should be used together to get rid of them. Where's there's food, rats will eventually come.

View attachment 3432486
View attachment 3432489
Thanks!

Yeah we think she might have put her beak through the enclosure and into some chicken wire we had put on the outside to try and deter the rat, but we've removed that now.

I had noticed the scratches but my duck father brain went mental about all the things that could be wrong with her, she's the problem child! 😂

We've got some traps out and are cleaning all spills throughout the day so we'll continue with that. Thanks for your help 🙂

Thanks!

Yeah we think she might have put her beak through the enclosure and into some chicken wire we had put on the outside to try and deter the rat, but we've removed that now.

I had noticed the scratches but my duck father brain went mental about all the things that could be wrong with her, she's the problem child! 😂

We've got some traps out and are cleaning all spills throughout the day so we'll continue with that. Thanks for your help 🙂
My pekin drake had bright red blood on his bill within 5 minutes of getting out of the coop last weekend. I washed him up in the kitchen in clean water, could see a superficial abbrasion but nothing serious, so returned him to the flock. As @Wyorp Rock wrote, there was no point in putting antibiotic ointment on as it would be rubbed off in 5 mins or less.

Today, 5 days later, there is dark congealed dried blood but no signs of infection. The naughty boy is his absolute usual mischievous self.

Yours will be fine too. Bills are made of keratin like human nails and renew themselves. Yours wont even have a scar to tell the tale

Back
Top Bottom