Blood in Nest Boxes!!!

new2chicks GBG PA

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 25, 2007
Greensburg, PA
Not sure what happened. Came home this afternoon and found three eggs. One looked like it had been pecked. And there was blood smeared in the nest boxes. The Hens all seen normal and active. Is this something that occurs sometimes or should I be worried?

Thank you for any help or advice.

Are your hens young? Sometimes a hen will pass an egg, thats a bit too big, and there will be a little blood smeared on the shell. I dont worry too much about it, just wash it in WARM water.
Bacteria likes warm places to grow.....if you wash your eggs....make sure the water you wash them in is warmer than the egg. If the water is colder, it will force the bacteria to try to get INTO the egg shell pores.
Anyways....just watch them, make sure they are eating and pooing normal...more than likely, they will be just fine.

Thank you for your reply. I checked the hens again and they all seem to be acting normal. There were 2 eggs in the nestbox that had the most blood in it. Maybe a hen laid 2 eggs??!
hu.gif
I will have to watch when they are laying tomorrow since I'll be off work. Hopefully this was a one time thing.

Back
Top Bottom