Blue Australorp Rooster, Seasoned Flockmaster Looking for a New Position -- NC Sandhills

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
IMG_20230606_111543449.jpg

IMG_20230606_112135957.jpg

$20 in Moore County, North Carolina

Rameses is a 1.5yo Blue Australorp rooster originally from Welp with a massive chest and fabulous color. I love him, but he’s currently mating with his granddaughters and I need to bring in new blood.

Rameses is good with his girls, keeps the young cockerels in line, and is terrific with chicks -- I’ve actually seen them run underneath him to get away from an unhappy hen.

He’s generally laid back and low-drama but as a matter of full disclosure I have to admit that he did challenge me a little this past winter -- as documented here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/find-threads/started#:~:text=I Hate to Say It, But,

After that, he went back to his old self and I can freely turn my back on him again.

Nevertheless, I don’t recommend him as your first rooster.

Photos include shots of the absolutely beautiful purebred and mixed breed chicks he has fathered. 50% blue chicks with black hens. 25%/50%/25% black/blue/splash with blue hens.

IMG_20230606_112123043.jpg

IMG_20230606_112140064.jpg

IMG_20230606_102411842.jpg
IMG_20230410_121034682.jpg

IMG_20230410_150248862.jpg

He is stunning I really wish I could take him off your hands. I’ve got an EE cockerel (9 weeks) 4 pullets ( also 9 weeks) and 8 hens I know some roosters can do well in a situation like that would he?

He's very laid-back about other males -- disciplining his sons by breaking up fights and knocking them off hens that protest but he hasn't actually fought one yet.

But I do have to suggest that he should not be a first rooster, since he did have that incident of challenging me this winter when the hormones in the flock were rising (and he was busy teaching several maturing cockerels who the boss was).

He's very laid-back about other males -- disciplining his sons by breaking up fights and knocking them off hens that protest but he hasn't actually fought one yet.

But I do have to suggest that he should not be a first rooster, since he did have that incident of challenging me this winter when the hormones in the flock were rising (and he was busy teaching several maturing cockerels who the boss was).
My first roo was aggressive do you think he would be aggressive in a new environment?

My first roo was aggressive do you think he would be aggressive in a new environment?

One can never say. Roosters just don't come with any guarantees.

He's been generally easy-going throughout his life (BTW, I do not handle him except for occasional after dark, off-the-roost exams), but cannot forget that he *has* had an incident.

My family can’t stand crowing (personally I don’t mind it) how much would you say he crows. My family said this would be the make or break for

Roosters crow. There's no getting around that.

A rooster kept with a suitable number of hens only and no other males without crowing range is probably quieter than one who needs to remind the other roosters in his coop or his neighborhood that he's the boss.

My family can’t stand crowing (personally I don’t mind it) how much would you say he crows. My family said this would be the make or break for
One can never say. Roosters just don't come with any guarantees.

He's been generally easy-going throughout his life (BTW, I do not handle him except for occasional after dark, off-the-roost exams), but cannot forget that he *has* had an incident.

Roosters crow. There's no getting around that.

A rooster kept with a suitable number of hens only and no other males without crowing range is probably quieter than one who needs to remind the other roosters in his coop or his neighborhood that he's the boss.
Ahh well. I started thinking about how Cornelius might act around him and now I’m not sure. It probably wouldn’t be best for either of them. He’s is definitely a looker and he should find a great home.

Back
Top Bottom