Blue Heeler

uchytil

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 28, 2011
I wonder how I can get my Blue Heeler to not attack my chickens. Anyone with any experience?

With a lot of training you might be able to but some dogs it's just their natural instinct. Even if you could train it to not attack I still wouldn't trust it not to attack!!

Quote:
That right, Herding Dogs need a job. So my was responsible to bring the chicken in the coop ( when we lived in Germany) And as soon as we set up the coop and the peeps are outside, she will be back on her job. @ the moment she need to help me in the house. So it's on her to bring Daddy's stinky socks to the washer
wink.png

So why do you don't train your heeler something simlar?

We have a blue heeler about 12 years old and we can't break her of any bad habits she had to go live at my grampas farm because all he has is Percheron drafts and she can't hurt them. She is a tire biter and chases the trucks everywhere she h learned to mind my grampa because she learned he doesn't play around plus she's protevtive she doesn't like anyone she didn't grow up around. She has gotten hit by dirt bikes, atvs, gators and snowmobiles she never quits she gets hit and goes right back for more shes gotten hit roughly 12 times By trucks once she broke herr jaw and wa back it 2 days later shes gotten kicked by cows and horses and porcupine quills and skunks. Anything animal related she learned about the fort or second time.

I have a 5 year old blue heeler, female as well. She has killer a few of my ducks, she grabs them and shakes them. Lately she started to run at the pen (I have to keep them penned in) and she would bite at it. I put up and electric fence around it. She's gotten shocked by it twice, one time her butt hit it and she had no idea what hit her, the other time she ran at it and bit it and it shocked her on the head. Now she won't go anywhere near it.

If you have your chickens in a pen I would suggest an electric fence around it. It seems to be working for me. She won't even go near it now so I don't even have to keep it plugged in
wink.png

Or I would try a shock collar. I had to do that with mine because she likes to chase cats. I was afraid she would kill or hurt one if she ever caught it, so now when I have her in the house I keep the shock collar on her. I only had to use it once, and she learned. Now as long as the collar is on her, she leaves the cats alone.

Hope this helps
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom