Blue Laced Red Sebright?

SeveralBirds

Hatching
May 15, 2023
I love the overall look of Sebrights and the blue laced red coloration, so I've been thinking a blue laced red Sebright would be doubly amazing. I've looked online and it doesn't seem like anyone's done this, which surprises me.

Has anyone tried making blue laced red sebrights? I can't take on this project myself, unfortunately, but I am very curious about the result.

It was attempted years ago but given up on. There was an issue with the blue being too dark due to all the melanizers that make up the Sebright color. The blue color was also uneven with the lacing in certain areas (the head and neck if I remember correctly) being indistinguishable from black.

If someone is dedicated enough it could happen, I would recommend creating a few different lines using the various dun genes and finding out which one or combination works the best. Playing around with getting the right amount of red pigment would be a factor as well.

Not known by most, but at one time there was a hen feathered Silver Laced Wyandotte. I found pictures in a book from the late 1800's or early 1900's.

I would suggest talking with Jerry Foley if you want to tackle blue laced red genetics. He wrote a pamphlet on the process with his wyandottes.

Not known by most, but at one time there was a hen feathered Silver Laced Wyandotte. I found pictures in a book from the late 1800's or early 1900's.

I would suggest talking with Jerry Foley if you want to tackle blue laced red genetics. He wrote a pamphlet on the process with his wyandottes.
Yeah, because Sebrights were used to create Wyandottes originally.

This is a first generation cross of what could be used to make blue laced gold or silver. He is half Sebright, his dam was silver Sebright and sire was a solid blue pea comb barnyard mix.
This is the year he was hatched, note that the hackle and saddle are slightly pointy male like feathering.
IMG_8552.JPG
After his first adult molt he turned completely hen feathered with more distinct lacing.
IMG_7699.JPG
IMG_7742.JPG

He has one gold gene and one silver gene.

Yeah, because Sebrights were used to create Wyandottes originally.
This is not known or proven. At one time they were called American Sebright Cochins, but there is no proof Sebrights were used in the breeding. Hamburgs, Brahmas, and Cochins are documented as sources of particular genes, patterns, and colors. There was at one time a deliberate breeding effort to produce hen feathered Silver Laced Wyandottes which were considered more "showy" than the normal feathered variants. Hen feathered carries several genetic problems due to reduced testosterone levels in males. When combined with the rose comb inversion that whacks the sperm motility gene, the result is a bird that has difficulty reproducing. Sebrights show these difficulties. The advantage of hen feathered includes fully laced tail and hackle feathers. The disadvantage - particularly when combined with rose comb - is difficulty maintaining and reproducing them.

There were conflicting objectives in early breeding efforts. Eventually they were stabilized with very pouffy tails and very soft fluffy under and rear abdominal feathers. Rose comb was chosen as breed standard because it contributes to winter laying capability. Large birds, very cold tolerant, lay all winter, can go broody are today's Wyandottes.

Also, ColtH, Well bred SLW do have lacing up the tail. They are not fully laced like Sebrights.

This is not known or proven. At one time they were called American Sebright Cochins, but there is no proof Sebrights were used in the breeding. Hamburgs, Brahmas, and Cochins are documented as sources of particular genes, patterns, and colors. There was at one time a deliberate breeding effort to produce hen feathered Silver Laced Wyandottes which were considered more "showy" than the normal feathered variants. Hen feathered carries several genetic problems due to reduced testosterone levels in males. When combined with the rose comb inversion that whacks the sperm motility gene, the result is a bird that has difficulty reproducing. Sebrights show these difficulties. The advantage of hen feathered includes fully laced tail and hackle feathers. The disadvantage - particularly when combined with rose comb - is difficulty maintaining and reproducing them.

There were conflicting objectives in early breeding efforts. Eventually they were stabilized with very pouffy tails and very soft fluffy under and rear abdominal feathers. Rose comb was chosen as breed standard because it contributes to winter laying capability. Large birds, very cold tolerant, lay all winter, can go broody are today's Wyandottes.

Also, ColtH, Well bred SLW do have lacing up the tail. They are not fully laced like Sebrights.
Hen feathering isn’t what causes the full laced tails. The birchen gene does. That said, it’s still harder on sickles to make it look right, but I have seen totally gorgeous Polish cocks before with nice tails. Laced tail Polish hatchery cock (birchen based)
0D9A997F-561D-40A5-BBF7-0140657825E9.jpeg

Unlaced tail Wyandotte hen (partridge based)
0DFE19AF-D2A0-4CB9-BD64-523720C5E3B5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom