Blue Swedish... splash?

View attachment 1834988

Hi friends! I’m a runner/mallard momma and decided to add two new female Blue Swedish and a female Black Runner to my family.

My newest ducklings are 3.5 weeks old and one of the Blue Swedish has spots.

This is my first time with Swedish ducks and I’m thinking she might be a splash. What do you guys think? Please excuse my dirty garage steps :lol:
What a cute duckling you have there! The darker spots is something commonly seen with Blue Swedish, however, this has no indication of whether a bird is splash or not, especially at your birds age. You’ll just have to wait and see as her adult feathers grow in.

My blue Swedish hen also came from metzer farms and after a little over a year with the molts in between she had gone from this to this:
9E2D4ED9-ACBC-4A1C-AFD6-FA93DA0BCCA1.jpeg

5D06FF71-9809-4EF8-8EC2-E23D41EE9F5A.jpeg

With every molt, darker colors(such as blue, black, and chocolate) will continuously molt and grow in new white feathers as the bird ages. In this case it only took my hen a bit over a year to take on the splash coloring.
0AF28A1F-42BC-4789-882E-5919034A15C0.jpeg

Here’s what my female looked like as a baby. She is now two years old.

What a cute duckling you have there! The darker spots is something commonly seen with Blue Swedish, however, this has no indication of whether a bird is splash or not, especially at your birds age. You’ll just have to wait and see as her adult feathers grow in.

My blue Swedish hen also came from metzer farms and after a little over a year with the molts in between she had gone from this to this:
View attachment 1835343
View attachment 1835344
With every molt, darker colors(such as blue, black, and chocolate) will continuously molt and grow in new white feathers as the bird ages. In this case it only took my hen a bit over a year to take on the splash coloring. View attachment 1835346

Holy moly! I would have never thought those were the same ducks.

View attachment 1835343
View attachment 1835344
With every molt, darker colors(such as blue, black, and chocolate) will continuously molt and grow in new white feathers as the bird ages. In this case it only took my hen a bit over a year to take on the splash coloring. View attachment 1835346

Thank you! And this is super helpful. That is a crazy quick change your girl went through. She’s gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom