Bobcat finally crossed the line

Good news is, we caught the 3 hens that evaded us last night so they are now locked up in the coop.

Bad news is tonight I saw 2 bobcats meeting up at the fenceline. Really hoping it was a loner. Only this one came into the yard.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230310_203118_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230310_203118_Samsung Internet.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 13
Good news is, we caught the 3 hens that evaded us last night so they are now locked up in the coop.

Bad news is tonight I saw 2 bobcats meeting up at the fenceline. Really hoping it was a loner. Only this one came into the yard.
Spring time. Probably a male and a female. The one in the yard hopefully don't make it back out on its own.

I’m so sorry for your loss I know exactly how that feels. I’m following your thread closely as I have the same bobcat problem. Please post if you have a successful catch. I had no idea they sold those kind of traps. I will see if our tractor supply carries them. I am grateful for all the info people have given you.

Thanks.. weather permitting, electric wiring around the fences is going up this week. With all the birds being locked up and out of sight, we have so far successfully stopped the kills, but I prefer for them to be able to pasture range in the daytime so hoping to trap them soon.

We have the trap cage set up, and I am slowly learning the tricks of the trade. Sniping them from the carport roof is not out of the question should we fail at trapping.

I’m so sorry for your loss I know exactly how that feels. I’m following your thread closely as I have the same bobcat problem. Please post if you have a successful catch. I had no idea they sold those kind of traps. I will see if our tractor supply carries them. I am grateful for all the info people have given you.
I saw your thread as well. Like me, I am sure you have plenty of wild critters around your area to keep the bobcats fed. Too bad chickens are so easy to catch at night. The last hen caught simply panicked and was basically caught as soon as she hit the ground.

My flock is about 35 - including 3 roosters and 3 turkeys. When the bobcat decides to stroll by during the day, they all yell and as a group walk toward the threat. I once saw them surround a feral cat that entered their yard. Poor thing only wanted a mouse, but the chickens decided "all mice belong to us" I guess.

I know that their group stance is not a deterrent to a hungry bobcat so they have to remain enclosed until we fix this problem.

Oh geez so sorry you are dealing with this! Hopefully you catch the bobcat soon. I always hate to have to eliminate any animal, but when they threaten your or your livestock’s lives you have to do what you have to do. We’ve had to take out possums, and are always on the lookout for coyotes and raccoons. Hawks and eagles are also quite a big threat here but there nothing much we can do but put netting over the coop. At our old place some irresponsible neighbors didn’t have a fence for their dogs and one came up on my flock after crossing over two other peoples property and almost had one of my hens when my dad (thankfully he was over at the time) saw it and shot into the ground to the side of the dog. The dog wheeled and ran home tail in between legs. (This dog had bit my horse once and came up aggressively after me and my two mares, one I was riding and one leading.) He had been mere inches from the tail of my brahma hen. The neighbors had been talked to kindly and warned like 5 times before that incident. Predators of any kind are no joke. Good luck.

Dogs are a big scare where my goats are concerned as they are further away from the house. We are lucky as we only occasionally see a dog we don't know. There is one neighbor who has a border collie that comes for a visit once in a while, but she has never shown any aggression/interest in my animals.

I actually worry more about my own two bird dogs. The dogs are very senior now 12 & 13 so they aren't as interested, but if an opportunity were to open up in front of them, they wouldn't hesitate. We, of course, have lots of coyote activity but they have never been compelled to climb any fences. Last summer a wolf pack came through the area. That was the first time I was truly scared for my own safety during night chores, but they moved on fairly quickly.

Hawks and Eagles are always a huge concern, but other than a few lame attempts by some juvenile hawks, they have pretty much left my birds alone. I have seen one of the roosters (my avatar - rip Mr. Gregory) chase smallish hawks off a couple of times. He was a big boy.
I may have posted this elsewhere before, but this is a fun little ring video capture of one of my momma hens losing her mind because a cooper hawk perched across from my chick enclosure when she had 1-week old chicks. Be warned - her screech is very loud.

If you do manage to trap, we have a saying around here we use about alligators. “It’s one thing to catch one. It’s another thing to figure our how to let one go.” Good luck hunting or trapping, which ever you choose. He definitely has to go or he (assuming it’s a male) has to go.

Dogs are a big scare where my goats are concerned as they are further away from the house. We are lucky as we only occasionally see a dog we don't know. There is one neighbor who has a border collie that comes for a visit once in a while, but she has never shown any aggression/interest in my animals.

I actually worry more about my own two bird dogs. The dogs are very senior now 12 & 13 so they aren't as interested, but if an opportunity were to open up in front of them, they wouldn't hesitate. We, of course, have lots of coyote activity but they have never been compelled to climb any fences. Last summer a wolf pack came through the area. That was the first time I was truly scared for my own safety during night chores, but they moved on fairly quickly.

Hawks and Eagles are always a huge concern, but other than a few lame attempts by some juvenile hawks, they have pretty much left my birds alone. I have seen one of the roosters (my avatar - rip Mr. Gregory) chase smallish hawks off a couple of times. He was a big boy.
I may have posted this elsewhere before, but this is a fun little ring video capture of one of my momma hens losing her mind because a cooper hawk perched across from my chick enclosure when she had 1-week old chicks. Be warned - her screech is very loud.

What an awesome hen!! What breed?

Back
Top Bottom