Bobwhite questions.. For someone who knows nothing about bobwhites. :)

bantamboy93

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
I need to know:

Space Requirements: Square feet.

Behaviors: What should I expect from Bobwhites if i get any.

Will they lay eggs at this point in the year?

This might go in with space req. I have a 12 sq. ft pen. How many birds?

More questions later.

Ok JJ. Now. I have the 12 sq. ft. cage. And i know a man that has some almost grown birds. He raises bobs purely for butchering. I was thinking on getting some from him if he hasn't already butchered them. Can you explain 'colony' I mean, i know what a colony of birds would be to me, a big flock. Could I just get 1 male and 2 or 3 females? That would give them 3 to 4 sq. ft per bird. Or would a trio/quad fall under colony.

a colony is usually a few males with a lot more females, if you have 12 sq ft of space you should be plenty safe with up to...6 birds i'd guess depending on size, if it was me, i'd stick to 1 male and 4 females.

Quote:
Sometimes this will work other times 1 hen will peck/destroy the other hens to get the male all to herself . If you go this route just keep a close eye on them for a week or two

Quote:
Sometimes this will work other times 1 hen will peck/destroy the other hens to get the male all to herself . If you go this route just keep a close eye on them for a week or two

100% true. I have HUGE aviaries, a 200 sq foot and a 300 sq foot and STILL that is not enough for one male and his VERY aggressive female mate. My girls will kill each other during mating season. I have to keep my pairs caged all season. So when they are mature, as said above, watch very carefully.

Last edited:
Quote:
NOT WISE TO TRY COT SPACE FIGURES WITH BOBS= MUCH BAD JUJU
old.gif

12 Sq/ft Pen? Hmmm, I'd Say Partician It Off And Make Space For 2 Pairs Or Trios... If Trios Watch Them Very Closely For The 1st Month Now, And At All Times During Breeding Season. As David Eluded To There's Many A Selfish Bob Hen In This World, And Everyone Of Them Will Make A Junkyard Dog With A Long History Of Mental Illness Look Sweet And Nice In Comparison. Bobs Are Mean, Bob Hens Are Meaner And Sneaky
hmm.png

JJ. It was originally a wooden rabbit cage.. with 3 partitions. So if i HAD TO, i could staple in some cardboard and partition it off again to 3 pens.. but i really don't want to. I'd rather just have 2 birds in a big pen and let them have room to roam and not fight. There's a man i go to church with that I talked to today about his bobs. He JUST butchered them yesterday.. ugh.. i was like, crud. but he said 2 of them had gotten away from him while he was butchering and he'd see if they came back and try to catch them for me. He doesn't know the gender of them though. he said they were just starting to whistle. He just does it for the meat. Which is understandable.. but that's not what i want the birds for. Quail feed is super expensive.. And i'm thinking on selling my Coturnix soon since i'm guessing they're about to quit laying? I'm only getting one egg a day out of 5 hens. So i can get rid of them or something. And just have me a couple bobs to listen to whistle.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom