BOxBR sexed linked? Thought it was a girl but now ?

Amy's Animals

Songster
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Southern Oregon
Hi, I have a chick who's dad is a Buff Orpington and who's mom is a Barred Rock. We were told that it is a sexed linked cross, males have a dot on the back of the head, females don't. Well turns out we had 4 chicks, 2 were black with a whitish belly and chin and 2 darkbrown with a lightbrown belly and chin and white spot on their throat. I kept one of the brown ones. I was convinced it was a girl until just recently. It's 8 weeks old now and I found it has always made roosters sounds, even when it was a few days old. Not crowing, but the clucking sound they make when they've found a treat (or food dish, in this case) and I today heard the sound that roosters make when they see something potentially dangerous, like a screechy growl kind of. Also, I find that the wattles are fairly large for an 8 week old pullet. There is no redness though. Also the neck feathers seem pretty shiny, but I think it's a little early to tell. Can someone guarantee me that this cross is a sex link? Is this a girl or boy? The following picture is the only one I have, it was taken at 3 days old (note white spot on throat) . More pics will come tomorow.

36292_008.jpg

Yes it is a girl if the mom was barred and the dad was buff. I've done the same cross before.

Dayold pullets
37373_chicks_044.jpg

Dayold Cockerels
37373_chicks_050.jpg

6 wk old pullet
37373_100_4367.jpg

6 wk old cockerel
37373_100_4370.jpg

They are about 5 mos old now, and since I got a new roo today that I want to post some pics of, I'm going to get some updated pics of the selinks and the rest of my birds and I'll show you what the sexlink girls look like at 5 mos.

Yes, they were. Thats exactly what the chicks looked like. Except mine doesn't have nearly as much black as the 6 week old pullet, in fact, her head is lightbrown. Thank you though.
big_smile.png

Heah, I think Tala hatch some of the same cross and her's had brown instead of black too.

Anyway, as promised, here they are today at around 5 mos old.

37373_100_5227.jpg

Sexlink hens

37373_100_5220.jpg

Two Sexlink hens are in the back, a Sexlink roo in the middle, and a Barred Rock roo in the front.

37373_100_5224.jpg

Both of these are Sexlink roos

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom