Boys or Girls

Ashley80

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 22, 2008
Lesmurdie, Western Australia
Any guesses? Girls or Boys?

1 x 16 week old Araucana (I know, it has a tail, but I'm in Australia, that's what we call them here) not sure if this is a tom-boy girl or a late blooming boy. It's hatch buddie a black araucana from the same parents has a much bigger, redder comb, flashy feathers and has been crowing for about a month.
31.jpg

2 x 11 Week old Coronation Sussex. The second one is my special needs baby, ever since it hatched it's had a 'hooky' beak and one odd eye which it keeps closed most of the time,it's feathers are a bit messy because it had a hard time putting on weight early on but it's running with the other chicks and growing well now.
11.jpg

21.jpg

:) Thanks

Ashley

(edited to reduce pic size)

Last edited:
Both look like roosters to me.
The Aracucana is awesome. How did they get their crests? I have seen pictures of them before and have like them ever since.
They are so picky here in the US about calling EE's Araucanas or Ameraucanas. I have the old fashioned hatchery Easter Eggers.
I am going to try to create a crested Aracauna/Ameraucana for myself using my EE's. How would be the best way to go about put the crest on them? I'm going to try putting them to my Polish. Would that work?

Chickanmanfromarkansas

:) Your out of my league there! This summer was my first attempt at hatching, I just bought some fertile eggs from a 'chook lady' near by for my clucky to sit on. It's a shame you in another country, if it does turn out to be a boy you chould have had him.

Last edited:
Your "Auracauna" *cough*EE*cough* is definitely a rooster. The two Sussexes have a chance at being girls but are also most likely roos — wait a couple weeks and watch the comb and feather development.
Good luck! You seem quite knowledgeable already, I'm sure you'll be a great addition to our forum.
smile.png

Quote:
There Araucana she is in Australia.
There standard has Araucana as both Tailed and Rumpless with a beard (not ear tufts) and creasted...

"The British Araucana Club, The Poultry Club of Great Britain, The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) and the British Poultry Council formally recognises only four "types" of purebred Araucana in the UK. Specifically; The Large Tailed, The Bantam Tailed, The Large Rumpless and The Bantam Rumpless."

http://www.araucana.org.uk/breed_standards.html

Chris

Last edited:
the standard is different over there, it is not the same as here. I believe they are bearded and crested..... the araucana(could be a mix or not, would have to see flock it came from) is a boy, if you look at the base of the tail you will see the skinny pointy feathers scream boy. I can't tell on the sussex but if you look closely in the same area you should be able to tell if there are any pointy feathers coming in, but at 11 weeks the comb does look a bit too red to be a pullet
hmm.png

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies!

It looks like I'll just have to admit to myself that the Araucana is a boy, I'd been holding out hope for a girl since the other one started to crow weeks ago but it looks like that was just wishful thinking after all.

I'll have a closer look for pointy feathers on the sussex when I let them out in the morning.

Cheers

Ashley

I might not have been clear in my first post, the sussex photos are of two different birds. One is quite a bit bigger than the other but I think that because the second one has 'special needs' and didn't grow well when she was young.

I couldn't wait until the morning, I've just got back in from visitng the coop with a flashlight. I can't find any pointy feathers on either of the sussex (yay!).... the Lav on the other hand has quite a few of them and lots of new feather shafts coming through that look pointy too.

Back
Top Bottom