Brahma hen - foot wound/issue

Well. It’s past bedtime now but I’ll poke my head in and see if I can get a shot. (Beware. She’s on puppy pee pads and you can see the carnage of all the mites....)

...she’s pretty upset at me.

View attachment 2034481
(Hooman it’s sleep time)

View attachment 2034482
Not going to move her around to see her bum tonight - but you can see some of her poop. She’s been eating - but not enough I don’t think. But that way you can kind of see the color of the poop.

Edit. I added the log as roost after dark so...I’ll guess that’s why she’s not all about it.
Sooo since im an insomniac tonight yes. I put an old towel down under a fresh pee pad. Not perfect but....at least she has some comfy padding if she wants it, which will retain some of her body heat.
How is she this morning?
The poor dear sure doesn't look like she feels well.

I'm glad you treated the lice. Will she drink on her own?

Well. Looking pretty red and angry today :/ and the mass exodus of mites continues (I did switch out that pee pad last night. Gross!)

She knocked over the water so that’s refilled now and she’s got a crumbled up hard boiled egg to munch on. Sprayed her toe down with the microbial stuff and got the notification from chewy that some fish mox stuff had shipped (phew) so hopefully it gets here quick.
7FE4E76A-4113-48D4-A1EB-3DE5EBFCEA6F.jpeg
9FC8E17E-F1CE-4205-A033-F3A39E787EE9.jpeg

Edit. Asked hubs who leaves for work after I do if it looked like she had eaten any of her egg. He says no. Not a good sign. But I have seen her picking at her feed pellets last night so...sigh.

Well. No matter what happens my chicken first aid kit will be fully set up after this.

Last edited:
Already been treated. They’re all dead lice. I started poofing her with poultry dust after her bath and realized it wouldn’t do much good where she was still wet so we mixed up some permethrin spray.

Don’t have a small heater but it is Southern California. Shouldn’t get that cold in there - window is closed and she is all dry now.
Great!

How is she today? I know you ordered some stuff for her. Do you need dosage?
I will. It should arrive tomorrow, I ordered this:
859D8B53-6C2A-4481-9AF7-216612BA24F2.png

I can’t figure out how to share a link off the app :/ Also how would you dose? Add to water? Treats? Something?

Edit for her update. She was moving around but not super active, didn’t seem interested in boiled egg, toe is red and angry. She’s still hanging out in the shower while I’m at work. Darn work thing. :/

Last edited:
I will. It should arrive tomorrow, I ordered this: View attachment 2034800

I can’t figure out how to share a link off the app :/ Also how would you dose? Add to water? Treats? Something?

Edit for her update. She was moving around but not super active, didn’t seem interested in boiled egg, toe is red and angry. She’s still hanging out in the shower while I’m at work. Darn work thing. :/
Amoxicillin dosage is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day.

An update. She ate some scratch out of my hand after getting her soak today. The mites are still rallying - so I powdered her a bit again after her bath. Will have to mix up some more spray soon and really dose her good - last time hubs did the spray and I feel he didn’t get particularly deep in there. I was ruffling her up while she was in her soak to get rid of old corpses etc.

Tried to clean off her bum a bit. Oi that was messy. That one may have to wait until her foot heals up a bit better so I don’t have to worry about soaking an open-ish wound with super poopy water. Got some off at least.

Her comb still looks healthy red at least. Foot is still ugly but she seemed like she’s rallying a bit. Need to weigh her and she’ll start the fish mox tomorrow night.

Of course you will need to treat everyone for the critters Star and the coops too and again in 10 days after that. I bought permethine (help me out here @Wyorp Rock and bought a small sprayer . It was around $10.00 at TSC and I drowned the coop walls and everything else they come in contact with including the outside walls. I lost a hen to mites , maybe more then one. Memory is a funny thing. I lost them WHEN I treated ! I believe they were just so weak from blood loss they couldnt take the rest of it. Any kind of protein you can get in her now is good . Remember they will eat raw meat too. I think your hen was very close to death and isnt out of the woods yet. Her foot cant heal w/o protein . I dont think giving her a bath is a real good idea in her weakened state. Foot soak yes , she needs thats but imagine how tired you would feel with maybe over half of your blood gone. Rooster booster is also a good idea to help w/ protein . (I think) . LOL Trim all her butt feathers off. That will help the mess.

Back
Top Bottom