Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Tim, The first two female I assume are the same bird and the best shape tail and back I have seen lately. One little suggestion for you though, keep a close eye on the black in hackle I mean where it starts. It should start at about ear level. If you let it drop very much it is hard to raise it back to where it should be. This is one thing I always worked real hard on my Brahma. Don

Agreed Don, it does start a little too low.

Nice bantams people. Although I'd love 'em a lot more if they were LF.
lol.png
For one, I've yet to see a bantam with a good brow. Is it even in the standard?

Quote:
I'm not sure what your definition of good is. The bantam standard says"crown projecting over eyes". A good brow is common in many quality bantam Brahmas. I have never seen a Dark Bantam with a good head. Is that what you are referring to???

Last edited:
Chet, the PO opens at 8:15. I'm sending your eggs. I got 17 lights and one bonus buff for you.

Tim

Quote:
I'm not sure what your definition of good is. The bantam standard says"crown projecting over eyes". A good brow is common in many quality bantam Brahmas. I have never seen a Dark Bantam with a good head. Is that what you are referring to???

Tim, how about explaining about what the Brow consists of in makeup. Don

Meat, fat, skin, feathers and SKULL. A defect according to the standard is "head too small and narrow". The "brow" or "beetle brow" as many refer to it, usually improves with age. A good high protien diet helps. It is usually evident at an early age in high quality birds. It is really a distinguishing characteristic of the Brahma breed. In my personal opinion, narrow, sparrow headed birds should not be bred from. Opinion again, a good head is the first thing to catch a judges eye.
60393_resize_ckl.jpg

This bird is far from perfect, however, he does have a "Good" head. Nice wide brow, projecting over eyes.

Did I over-look anything Don?

Last edited:
Quote:
Tim, I know that sometimes a little trimming is done around the comb prior to exhibition in some breeds. Is this done in Brahmas? Bantam or LF?

Quote:
Tim, I know that sometimes a little trimming is done around the comb prior to exhibition in some breeds. Is this done in Brahmas? Bantam or LF?

Not that I'm aware of Clare.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom